PDA

View Full Version : Did I do good?

taylorce1
May 7, 2006, 05:41 PM
I went to a gun show today and traded some of my stuff off, mainly some AR-15 Mags. After I got rid of the last of my mags I went to a table to purchase a rifle that I had been eying all day. It is a Savage 110 in .280 Remington it also had a spare barrel with it in .30-06 for $265. I made $210 on the sale of my Mags and talked the guy down to $215 on the rifle without the 06 barrel. I basically have $15 in the rifle because I didn't pay any thing for the mags I sold they were given to me, so I paid $5 for the rifle and $10 for the transfer $225 total.

Should I have went ahead and got the spare barrel? The main reason I didn't is I didn't think I would have a need to change out barrels, I already own a .30-06. I don't have the gages to check head space if I were to change the barrels, so I would have to pay a gunsmith to do it. All I could get the guy talked down was to $255 if he sold me the rifle with extra barrel.

I just wanted the .280 to add to my caliber collection of rifles based of the .30-06 parent round. I already own a .270, .30-06, 8mm-06, .338-06, 35 Whelen, and now the .280 Rem. Now all I have to do is keep my eye open for a good .25-06. I'll probably use this rifle to hunt here in Colorado and keep some of my nicer rifles home so I don't ding them.

hoghunting
May 7, 2006, 07:14 PM
For only being out of pocket for $15, I don't know how you could go wrong. Aren't gun shows great for buying and selling things? Good job. Congrats.

LDThornton
May 7, 2006, 11:03 PM
Not good in my town. They are mainly rip-offs. The only way to get a fair deal is to stand outside and catch people as they are going in. Really sad.

skeeter1
May 7, 2006, 11:58 PM
If it make's you happy, then it was a good buy. My last one was over $500, and i'm still smiling! :)

taylorce1
May 8, 2006, 07:18 AM
I don't go to gun shows very often and this was the first time in 3 years. Also this was the first time I traded anything at a show, usually I just stick to buying ammo or componets to reload. The last rifle I got at a show was a Remington 700 ADL for $240 over 5 years ago when you could still do a private treaty inside the show.