PDA

View Full Version : yet another hunting rifle question

zamboxl
April 29, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hey guys i have another rifle question, i was looking for a cheap hunting rifle, and i am really interested in the old eastern europe war rifles like the 91/30, sks, k31. Actually i was really looking for a k31, however i live in fl and the rifle needs to have a clip capacity of no more than 5 to be able to hunt with it, the k31 has a 6 round capacity. Well what other rifle could i use to go hunting with from that era that has as good as acuracy as the k31 or close enough and a 5 round clip , i already got a mosin nagant so i was looking for something else. Actually i have a Russian 91/30 would a Finnish 91/30 be different enough or better enough to warrant getting a finish 91/30? Plz endow this newb with ur bast historic rifle knowledge.

PS: i mostly want an old eastern Europe war rifle becasue first of all they are dirt cheap so if i mess it up there wont be much of a problem, second most of them can take a hell of a beating, and if they do brake see reason 1 again, Third well i like old war rifles i like the history they represent. An old enfield might also be a choise but i dont know anything about them.

FirstFreedom
April 29, 2006, 11:12 AM
My suggestion would be to get a K31 regardless of whether you're going to hunt with it - fine piece of machinery and cheap right now - Swiss rifle though, not really 'eastern' european. I believe the mag capacity of the K31 is 5 rounds, not 6, so you should be just fine within the hunting regs - it's only 6 if you also count the round in the chamber, but I'd bet that the regs say "5 round MAG capacity", not 5 rounds total ammo capacity.

TJ Freak
April 29, 2006, 04:10 PM
Mine holds 6 rounds in the clip. Maybe you could have a smith rig it to hold only 5. You can buy hunting rounds at http://www.grafs.com/ammo/234
Good Luck

Donaldo
April 29, 2006, 05:53 PM
K31's hold 6 rounds. Looking at the magazine, it looks like you might be able to disassemble it and maybe stick a peice of wood or something between the spring and floor plate or possibly follower.

As far as hungting rifles of european persuasion with a 5 rnd mag cap, try looking at a Yugoslavian m24/47 or M48, maybe even a Mauser K98. I'm thinking of handloading for my Mosin M38 in case I want to use it.

ChrisTx
April 29, 2006, 07:52 PM
for me, a german mauser would be a lot handier than any of the others you mentioned. it's smaller and lighter than the others.