PDA

View Full Version : hunting land

zamboxl
April 28, 2006, 09:17 AM
hey guys what would be a decent size hunting plot, and what would be a good price to pay per acre?

Ohio Annie
April 28, 2006, 10:12 AM
That depends very much on where you are. Some places 40 acres of woods and streams is about perfect and that can range anywhere from 500 to 3000 bux an acre (ballpark) depending on location location location.

Location = what is it surrounded by, other woods and streams or strip malls.:(

Shorthair
April 28, 2006, 10:13 AM
http://www.homestead.org/Land/Land%20Directory.htm

zamboxl
April 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
wow $500 an acre where is this at

T. O'Heir
April 28, 2006, 12:22 PM
Hunting what?

zamboxl
April 28, 2006, 02:16 PM
well aronund here is mainly boar or deer

Old Time Hunter
April 28, 2006, 03:10 PM
My neck of the woods.... cheap stuff is $3k an acre! I bought 60 acre's 12 years ago for $200 an acre, another 20 acres 6 years ago that cost me $1k an acre, and now to get the next 20 acres that will get me to a dirt road the lady wants $3k an acre! For Christ's sake, she owns over 2800 acres of solid forest, you think that she can sell the other 20 acres for a reasonable amount.
This is for land that is five miles to the nearest paved road, thirteen miles to the nearest town (population 117), and twenty more miles to the nearest cell tower!

zamboxl
April 28, 2006, 03:38 PM
holy moly land is getting expensive, i think i'll just hunt on public land for now.

Rembrandt
April 29, 2006, 06:47 AM
Not getting any cheaper......bought a small farm a few years ago to have a hunting paradise, ran about a half million. Deer meat is sure getting expensive...:eek:

Jack O'Conner
April 30, 2006, 01:45 AM
Sundance, Wyoming is about 1,000 miles west of the Mississippi River. Two drivers can switch off and get there in 16 hours. No need to own land for good hunting as most of this county is public land! Antelope and mulies on the prairies, whitetails and elk in the hills.

Good hunting to you.
Jack

FirstFreedom
April 30, 2006, 09:36 AM
Jack, it takes 16 hours for you to go from S.D. to northeast Wyoming?

UniversalFrost
April 30, 2006, 10:16 AM
I am from yankton sd on the opposite side of the state and it doesn't take me that long to get to that neck of Wyoming. You must be going to Wyoming by way of minnesota :rolleyes: Another good place to hunt in the midwest is the plains of south dakota, pheasant capital of the world, lots of mulie sized whitetails, and muleys that are HUGE!!! . After you get away from Siouz Falls and the other eastern cities the land is open and while it is mostly private, just go and find the farm house and ask to hunt on the land. 99% will say yes and tell you where to not hunt near the livestock and will tell you where the deer are at. Always a nice gesture to drop off a pheasant or two at the farm after the hunt and to offer to take care of any prairie dog problems. Only turned away once, because the guy leased out deer hunting rights to some folks from new York, but he said I could shoot the prairie dogs and a few pheasants.

In eastern SD the land ranges fro 500 an acre for rough brushy land to 3000 an acre for nice wooded land. Just bought a little 10 acre plot of rough land with scraggly oak and cedars (lots of whitetails bed down there) for $6000 and just waiting for the other 20 or so acres to come on the market when the old guy dies and his wife moves to town.