PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - what .22LR rifle to get?

Greywolf
April 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
Here's my criteria:

1 - Accuracy

2 - Fast twist rate (1:9 or faster) so I can use Aguila SSS 60 grain ammo without it keyholing (I'll be using a suppressor). My SBR 10/22 with 5.5" barrel can do this just fine, and it has a Green Mountain 1:9 twist barrel.

3 - Can go either semi or bolt - thinking bolt due to it being even quieter.

4 - Not too damn expensive

Any ideas?

FirstFreedom
April 24, 2006, 10:21 PM
Only 1 idea to make the SSS shoot - it's expensive but it works (at least for me):

AR15 with Atchisson-Ceiner conversion kit:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198256&highlight=atchisson%2A

Upside to that option is that if your AR is a no-ban, then it will already be threaded for your suppressor. Other upside is that well, you also have yourself a fine SHTF rifle in 5.56x45mm. Downside is that some noise (a little) will come out of the action as it is cycling. Therefore...

Only other choice is a custom barrel - get just any common bolt action like a marlin or savage or remington ($80 at a gun show or pawn shop), and have green mountain or volquartsen or someone make the barrel you want.

Almost all, if not 100% of, .22lrs come with 1 in 16ish" twist. Where are you located?

Greywolf
April 24, 2006, 10:32 PM
Located in FL.

May end up with just another 10/22 with custom Volq or Green Mountain barrel.

270Win
April 25, 2006, 01:18 AM
I'm with FirstFreedom in that I've never seen a 22LR with anything other than a 1:16" barrel, and didn't even know others existed! I also suspect your best bet for 1:9" is an AR with a conversion kit. Or a custom barrel. I just did a quick run-through of the Green Mountain site, but every one of their 10/22 barrels was 1:16" also... but it seemed with their machinery, they could easily make one with different rifling.

Crosshair
April 25, 2006, 02:25 AM
Get a Ruger 77/22. You can swap out the barrel yourself and you will have a good selection of aftermarket parts.

DWARREN123
April 25, 2006, 03:46 AM
You might want to ask this question on WWW.RIMFIRECENTRAL.COM

dfaugh
April 25, 2006, 07:48 AM
My Marlin Moel 60 (I have no idea what the twist rate is) shoots the SSSs almost as accurately as Wolf Match Target. I've heard others here state that their "regular" .22s shoot it well too. BUT, then there's just as many that say it keyholes and patterns like a shotgun. I know, not a very helpful answer, unless you can try the gun out first.

FirstFreedom
April 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
My Marlin Moel 60 (I have no idea what the twist rate is) shoots the SSSs almost as accurately as Wolf Match Target.

Are you serious? Damn you're lucky! My Marlin 60 won't keyhole them, but they are very inaccurate - like 5-6" at 50 yards, and they are half-cocked a little, since the holes are not clean round ones, but kinda oval messy ones. Good excuse to buy additional model 60s?? I like! :)

FMB42
April 25, 2006, 04:31 PM
I don't know what the twist is either, but my Marlin bolt in .22mag is very accurate for price. We used to take this rifle out plinking with Mini 14s, SKSs, AKs, ARs, etc and it was always a favorite. Damn near a "can't miss rifle" IMO. It has the Micro-groove barrel BTW.

Varmint Eviscerator
April 25, 2006, 05:55 PM
Some cz's (452) will shoot em- the 453 has a 1:16 so i wouldnt go there. My cz wont shoot them, mine has a twist rate of something like 1:15.6 so even the slightly faster twist doesnt seem to help. My friends marlin and his brothers savage wont shoot em either. So its a gamble. Get the ruger for it will haev the cheapest aftermarket barrels and stuff because they wont have to be custom made.
Chase