PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal on my AK

BamaMac54
April 19, 2006, 09:17 PM
My AK after about 60 rounds had a light trickle of smoke coming out of the hand guards (from in between the two wood pieces). Do I have something to worry about? The gun had never been shot until then. I figure it might be some grease burning off that I couldn't get to before I shot it.

chargedmr2
April 19, 2006, 09:54 PM
Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. How quickly did you fire those sixty rounds?

BamaMac54
April 19, 2006, 10:08 PM
Probably all within 10-15 minutes. Hey....I wanted to be sure it was up to it's own reputation. Happily....it absolutely is.:cool:

TPAW
April 19, 2006, 11:05 PM
Probably grease or oil. Take it apart and give it a good cleaning. See if it happens again.............;)

packa45
April 20, 2006, 02:46 AM
Probably nothing wrong at all. I make my AK clone smoke constantly. Stay safe and have fun.

MTMilitiaman
April 20, 2006, 03:15 AM
It might be cosmoline or some other preservative greasing agent burning off. I've nearly caught wooden handguards on fire.

A word of caution--my Romanian has a steel pin through the front of the lower handguard. This would get extemely hot very fast and had a tendency to burn my fingers. It was the main reason I decided to replace my handguard with synthetics and put a vertical foregrip on it. Yours may or may not have this bolt, but be careful, nonetheless.

44 AMP
April 20, 2006, 04:04 AM
this is likely grease or oil, burning off the hot barrel. I ran a 90 rnd drum through a mini 14 once (just to see), and the barrel smoked a bit, oil on the outside burning. Couldn't quite get a cigarette to light from the barrel, but it was PLENTY hot.

Now, if you start smelling wood smoke, and the handguard starts to char, I think you have gone a little too far.:D

r.w. schrack
April 20, 2006, 04:59 AM
Sounds like grease or oil in gas tube, when you clean, rifle clean gas tube but do not apply any grease or oil. I normaly use hot soapy water (dish washing liquid and rinse with clear water) and let dry then run a patch or two thru it. I only grease rails and bolt and apply oil to trigger, sear, and hammer.

blume357
April 21, 2006, 04:07 AM
you didn't even know it had...but then that was after 50 or 60 rounds in about 20 seconds.

Minator
April 21, 2006, 12:41 PM
All wood grips smoke regardless if you empty the rifle quickly, after while the wood will be burnt over and wont smoke as quick or bad. Ive seen a full auto Aks wood handgaurds sit there and smoke and sizzle till water was thrown on them.

XLT
April 21, 2006, 01:33 PM
no...absolutely not normal. It must be shot out, probably completely unsafe to shoot, perhaps even to look at.

but I have a friend who would give you $50 for it :cool: jk