PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing iwb holster.

ds1300
April 14, 2006, 11:47 PM
I need help choosing an inside waistband holster. It is for a full size auto. Have narrowed it down to:
1.Brommeland Max-Con V www.brommelandgunleather.com/products
2.FIST #20 adjustable IWB www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/20
3.Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 www.miltsparks.com
4.Ted Blocker LFI Rig www.tedblocker.com/LFIRIGA

I want to get the right one the first time. Thanks for any help.

pstmstr
April 15, 2006, 04:50 AM
I haven't tried all of them but I do love the FIST adjustable cant IWB. Very thin, comfortable and I got the one with the tuckable feature that I don't use very often but can if necessary. Fits like a glove on my Kahr PM9. I also carry in front pocket sometimes too in a K&D Holster. Sparks makes great stuff, I used to carry a Glock 27 in a Milt Sparks EX IWB.

tegemu
April 15, 2006, 06:57 AM
I have a FIST that was uncomfortable as soon as I put it on. Thinking I would get used to it, I used it for about 90 days. I never got broken in to the holster, Kydex does not break in. I also had a problem with the Belt Loops continually working loose requiring re-tightening. I had planned on loc-tightening them but opted for a Max Con V instead. The Max Con V was superbly comfortable instantly and I have not regretted, in the least, buying the Brommeland. I now have 3 and a Mag Pouch and am delighted with all of them.

ds1300
April 15, 2006, 10:31 AM
tegemu, was your FIST leather or kydex? Also, how long did it take to get your holsters from brommeland?

darkvibe
April 15, 2006, 12:19 PM
I went throught he same search recently. I ended up with a c-t.a.c. holster from www.comp-tac.com. I liked the fist holsters but through my research found some bad feedback about their customer service and lack of delivering on time.

STEVE M
April 15, 2006, 01:57 PM
Haven't tried Brommeland's leather but can vouch for the other 3. The Milt

Sparks is the nicest, better fit, better finish, better detailing. The LFI rig by

Blocker is a good rig but you have to use his velcro lined belt. The holster is

hard but you can adjust its position until it is comfortable. It's a fast holster

to draw from. My only problem with mine was the dye (black) bleed on my

skin (it was very hot were I was working at the time) until I treated it. On

the plus side it didn't retain moisture and protected the pistol well. The FIST

is a nice holster but not as well finished as the Sparks. The adjustments

seemed nice but I found myself adjusting to the same angle as the other

holsters I owned. Seems leather craftsmen do know what we need. The strap

screws tend to freeze up and the screw material is a little soft so you have

to be carefull with the screwdriver.

All in all, they are all 3 very nice holsters, but you do get what you pay for.

ds1300
April 15, 2006, 02:20 PM
Which material wears the finish of a firearm less, leather or kydex?

ClarkEMyers
April 15, 2006, 02:54 PM
Given that exact selection on a prize table I'd take the Brommeland; if the Brommeland was gone I'd take the Sparks.

On the other hand as my own weight and condition and clothing and climate changes my tastes might change as well.

MUCH more important than the choice of holster from among any of the well respected makers is pairing the holster with a true gunbelt. I'd expect more difference between the same holster with different belts than between the Brommeland and the Sparks with a good belt. I use 1-1/2 belts myself with holsters to fit.

Trip20
April 15, 2006, 03:18 PM
I have a few FIST leather holsters and am very pleased with the product. Retention is great. They look very nice as well.

tex45acp
April 15, 2006, 03:48 PM
I have the Versa Max 2 for several of my guns including the full size 1911. It is the most comfortable style of holster I have ever worn and is superbly made. I am about to order one for my new Springfield XD-45 as well.

tegemu
April 16, 2006, 07:39 AM
DS1300, it is the K8 Kydex.