PDA

View Full Version : Remington 511 Magazine Catch

wayniac
April 14, 2006, 03:42 AM
I'm working on getting my Dad's childhood 511 back up to snuff and the replacement magazine catch is giving me fits. The original broke off just where the part curves downward into the magazine channel. It is the new, or late, style part 8A on e-gunparts.com (Numrich's) and it matches the profile of the original part, or what was left of it, but when assembled it absolutely will not go back (towards the trigger guard) far enough let the magazine get past the lower part of the receiver. Anyone else replace this part before? Any sugguestions?

Here's the schematic for the rifle.

Remington 511 (http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0860z511)

James K
April 14, 2006, 12:04 PM
As you note, there were two kinds of mag catches for that gun. The old type (8B) attached to the block in the receiver with two machine screws. The other (8A) is attached to the stock with two wood screws. They are not interchangeable. If there were two holes in the stock you need the later part; if not, there should be two holes where the original screwed into the receiver and you have the wrong part.

If the original screwed into the stock, and the replacement won't move enough, you may just need to relieve the wood around the new one to allow it to move back enough.

Jim