PDA

View Full Version : any guides to cleaning after corrosive ammo

biglabsrule
April 13, 2006, 07:03 AM
Anyone have any good guides to cleaning guns after using corrosive ammunition...
~~~ I have 400 rounds of corrosive for my .303 enfeild mk1 and havent used this ammo cause im not sure how to best clean it...
Ive heard to use soapy water but wonder if steel barrels and water dont create rust?
any good tips?

DWARREN123
April 13, 2006, 08:43 AM
I use cheap window cleaner with ammonia, while the barrel is still warm I shoot some down the barrel then wet a patch with it and swab the barrel out.
I then use a dry patch and then lube, I clean with Hoppe's when I get home then lube.

dm1333
April 13, 2006, 08:49 AM
At the range I hose the chamber and bore down with Windex, when I get home I usually pour some boiling water through the bore, then clean with Hoppes and give everything a light coat of oil. Don't forget to clean the bolt and firing pin and to clean the area that the bolt rides in. Corrosive primed ammo is nothing to be afraid of just give the rifle a good cleaning.

Limeyfellow
April 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
I use the boiling water method too. Its been used for decades and I and many others have found nothing works better at disolving the corrosive primer residue, which is flushed away and the heat stops the barrel rusting as the water evaporates before it can take ahold. Then stick down some oil.

Some people tend to like to use windex or any other ammonia based cleaning agent though never used it myself. Its biggest advantage is you have a lot less chance of scoulding or burning yourself as with boiling water the barrel is going to get very very hot, so you might want to invest in some heat resistent gloves.

armedandsafe
April 13, 2006, 09:32 PM
We were taught the boiling water method in the early 40s, while the Army was still training men for a special mission in my home town. As Dad owned the newspaper there, we got a little more info than the average citizen.

Pops

BillCA
April 14, 2006, 12:06 AM
We were taught the boiling water method in the early 40s, while the Army was still training men for a special mission in my home town. As Dad owned the newspaper there, we got a little more info than the average citizen.

My dad served in the USAAF during WW-II and told that after their firing sessions they used the hot water rinse followed by some very vigorous scrubbing of the bore. The rifle was then cleaned, heavily oiled and placed muzzle down in a rack. The next day, right after morning chow, rifles were cleaned again with more hot water and then lightly oiled to be ready for use again.

The reason is that corrosive ammo leaves behind a form of chemical "salts" from the primer compound. The water helped dissolve the salts and flush them away. Oiling the rifle's bore for the night allowed rust protection after brushing. However as the metal cools, remaining salts are released into the oil, necessitating another complete cleaning and re-oiling. His recollection is shooting rifles on Monday and final cleaning on Wednesday morning to be ready for inspection on Thursday morning.

By the way... he said he was glad to become an officer and not have the chore of trying to clean the 10 to 12 .50's on the B-17's!

TPAW
April 14, 2006, 10:56 AM
Hot water, make sure it's dry, oil it.........;)

FMB42
April 14, 2006, 03:00 PM
Just to be on the safe side.

Average Joe
April 14, 2006, 08:17 PM
+1 hot water, its that simple.

kymasabe
April 14, 2006, 08:46 PM
I pour boiling water thru mine, then clean as usual, oiling the barrel lightly.

Wild Bill Bucks
April 15, 2006, 03:23 PM
Lots of rounds shot through a lot of guns through the years, and most of them are still around. No problem with the ammo, as it is probably a lot cheaper than anything else. Just clean up good with hot soapy water, and dry thoroughly, followed by a healthy application of Rem Oil.
Gun will last forever.

nognig
April 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
Windex is a great cleaner for corrosive ammo. All you need is a water-based cleaner to remove the salts. Windex is great cause it has some detergents in it that can cut through the powder residue and do a good job of cleaning out the salts. Also, it dries quite fast.

After shooting I rinse the barrel with Windex using a spray bottle. Then I run a Windex soaked patch through the barrel. I repeat this one more time then dry the barrel with patches.

Then I wipe down the bolt head with Windex.

After that I just clean as per normal. Never had any corrosion problems.

NN