PDA

View Full Version : Info on a C&R rifle, please

40CalGuy
April 12, 2006, 09:54 AM
My local BIG5 has a Steyr Mannlicher 8mm straight-pull bolt action for $199.00. Can anyone give me any info on this gun? It looks to be in reasonable shape. The serial #'s that I could see were matching, but it would not surprise me to find a few that did not. I hear 8mm does wonders on harder targets, like hard drives, and small trees. The action of the rifle is good, it is lightweight, shoulders well...and needs a serious cosmo-cleanup job. 8mm is fairly cheap around here, and that's retail...I can only assume it'd be cheaper via mail order, or online. Anyone have any info on ballistics? Compared to 7.62x54R, or .30-06, or .308? (The other calibers I'm considering). Is 8mm abundant in mil-surp? Any and all info on this gun, it's ammo, ballistics, design on the stright pull bolt action, would be appreciated. Also, what else should I be looking at in 8mm? In case you're wondering...I've decided on a C&R rifle because of the fun that I had getting my SKS all cleaned up. They make neat projects, are a part of history, ammo is cheap, design is proven, and are usually medium caliber centerfire (read kills hard drives good). I saw a beautiful Turkish Mauser a few months ago in 8mm...but I let it slip away (that was before I found out how much fun restoring can be).

Clemson
April 12, 2006, 10:13 AM
The Steyr Mannlicher uses 8x56R ammunition -- NOT the same as 8mm Mauser. Right now there is a supply of the 8x56R available. Who knows for how long? The rifle itself is interesting and pretty well-made. Dealer cost for both the carbines and the rifles seems to be around $120. If you have a C&R license, you can save yourself some money by ordering direct from a supplier.

Good luck!

Clemson

Leif
April 12, 2006, 10:18 AM
Is this the rifle in question?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/steyrm95/index.asp

Clemson is right - different ammo; you also need clips for it to work. If you want something cheap that shoots 8mm Mauser, get a Yugo M48 (should be much less than the Steyr).

40CalGuy
April 12, 2006, 10:38 AM
Leif,

That is indeed the rifle in question. I wish the stock was in that kind of shape though!

Leif
April 12, 2006, 10:53 AM
Yes, it is nice isn't it; wish it were mine, but alas, tis not so. That's the problem with milsurps, the cheap ones usually are, well, used. Well-used. I think that you should be able to find an M48 that is decent in appearance, or at least that cleans up well.

40CalGuy
April 12, 2006, 10:59 AM
Good thing I didnt jump on it. I had no idea that the Steyr was 8mm, but not 8mm Mauser, which apparently, would be much preferred. I do not intend to buy a gun that will not be ahot a few hundred rounds per month. Thanks for the heads up guys. Sounds like the next purchase will be a 7.62x54R or 8mm Mauser C&R. Taking all suggestions on what's good in these categories. Thanks again

44 AMP
April 13, 2006, 02:11 AM
Some of the Austrian rifles ARE 8mm Mauser (7,92x57mm) many(most) are 8x56R, not the same cartridge. There are even some Italian Carcanos that the germans reworked to 8mm Mauser (or so I've heard). I imagine the rechambered rifles are rather scarce, and unlikly to show up milsurp, but you never know. Lots of stuff that was once really scarce is floating up from odd corners of the world, because, "those crazy Americans will buy anything!":D