PDA

View Full Version : .204 Ruger coyote ammo.

kirbymagnum
April 7, 2006, 07:26 PM
What would be the best coyote bullet for the 204 Ruger out of these two the Hornady 40 grain v-max or the Winchester 34 grain JHP? Will the v-max bullets expand to quick and not penetrate? Will the 32 grain v-max make a clean kill?

JohnO
April 8, 2006, 09:40 AM
To be honest, whichever is most accurate in your rifle. Either will put down a yote.

dmented692006
April 8, 2006, 12:34 PM
choose what shoots better out of your gun. i like the sierra 39grain ballistic tips, i reload my ammo so i dont know if ammo with 39 grain bullets are available. i have a browning .204 and the winchester hollow points seemed more accurate in my gun than the hornady v-max. what ever bullet you choose will kill a coyote. the .204 has more power than you think.

kirbymagnum
April 8, 2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the help.

Wild Bill Bucks
April 11, 2006, 09:53 AM
Not long ago I was informed that the state of Oklahoma had issued some rifles in .204 to the game dept. for coyote problems.
I haven't had mine long, but it is fast becoming my favorite "carry around"
rifle for the off season.
Using 40 grain V-Max and haven't had any trouble with it at all.
Only shot 1 coyote, but at 125 yards, a behind the shoulder broadside, put him on his back almost immediatley. Thats the only opportunity I've had to shoot anything larger than a possom but it has worked very well on several feild rats, and possoms, a skunk or two, and several snakes and turtles.

kirbymagnum
April 11, 2006, 08:44 PM
.Thank you Wild Bill Bucks for that comforting story.:) Wild Bill Bucks, what type of rifle do you own? How well does it shoot? How far did the bullet penetrate the coyote? If anyone els has had any experience with the 204 Ruger share if you would like to.

joneb
April 12, 2006, 12:13 AM
I not speeking from experience only from a ballistic point of view . The 39-40gr carrie more energy over a longer distance than a 34gr bullet. the ballistic coeffient for the heavier bullet seems to be the ticket for the longer range shooting.

Wild Bill Bucks
April 12, 2006, 09:26 AM
kirby,

Thompson encore, .204.
Little adjustment on the loads and shoots almost "Same Hole" groups at 100 yards.
Packing my own poppers, so I'm not shooting the velocities that factory says they get, but costs lot less for me to shoot,and get better accuracy, than factory stuff.
Out of the box, gun would shoot 1" groups at 50 yards, but did not get any better than 1 1/2" at 100.
Lowered the velocity down to around 3900 fps with 40 grain bullet, and rifle began to shoot extremley well.
Yote shot not typical for 40 grain, my bullet went completely through. Other guys tell me that the bullet makes mulsh out of the inside, but rarely goes completely through.
My bullet never touched a rib bone or anything hard, so I guess that's why.
Don't have much experience with it yet to tell you much about yotes.
It is like a lazer beam to shoot. Absolutley blows up most small critters.
Caliber has been around for a few years now, but info is still pretty limited.
Caliber is just now catching on around here, but everyone I have talked to has very positive things to say about it, including me.

kirbymagnum
April 19, 2006, 08:54 PM
Well i just got back from the city today and bought a 204 Ruger in a Remington vssf II with a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x40 mildot and i put on a Harris 9-13 bipod. I will be going to go zero and test out the 40 grain Hornady bullets on Sunday. I will try to post pics.

JohnO
April 21, 2006, 04:41 PM
Sounds like a mighty fine set up. Had a VSSF in 22.250. Nice rifle...

Fremmer
April 21, 2006, 04:51 PM
Congrats, Kirby! Sounds like a nice gun and scope. We want pics. And....

It's about time you finally got the varmint rifle! :D :p

FirstFreedom
April 23, 2006, 03:36 PM
Well i just got back from the city today and bought a 204 Ruger in a Remington vssf II with a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x40 mildot and i put on a Harris 9-13 bipod.

Sweetness! Congrats and use high quality rings!

kirbymagnum
April 23, 2006, 07:46 PM
Just got back from shooting and this gun is very accurate.:) Once my Dad zeroed it I shot a pop can filled with water and it blew that up then i shot a 10 pound squash and it put 3 inch holes in it. Then we went to the gopher field and there was actually a couple gophers. I shot one gopher at 105 yards and it was blown in half!:eek: There were many ravens and crows but there wasn't a safe shot so we kept driving there was a crow was sitting in a small tree at 200-250 yards I shot and i missed ( I was getting varmint fever). I should of used the range finder but i was to excited. We went to check on to see if the beavers came out and fixed their dam we destroyed but i guess we came back to soon because it was still flowing. Sorry i cant post any pictures until my Dad reinstalls our Kodak program.