PDA

View Full Version : Help! Magazine Problem!

jetdriver
April 2, 2006, 06:41 PM
I have a Kimber Pro BP Ten II that I bought last summer. I have only had it to the range a few times and have put maybe 400 rounds thru it. I love the accuracy and ergonomics of the pistol, but unfortunately I get 2 to 3 FTF's PER MAGAZINE (13rd). I only have one 13rd mag (that came with the pistol). Kimber wants $49 a piece for new ones. I want to use it for IDPA but I can't get it to feed right. I think the mag spring may be weak - but I can't understand since it's pretty new. Every four rounds or so it will nosedive, with the bullet stuck against the feed ramp. A firm tap on the bottom of the mag seats the round. I really don't think its the pistol, but the magazine. Even when loading it, the rounds will not always "nose up" into the feed lips but sit horizontal - parallel to the base of the mag, until I tap the mag.

Any advice? Are all double stack Kimber mags this bad? :confused:

Should I contact Kimber?

Dark Wolf
April 2, 2006, 07:15 PM
What kind of ammo are you using? And, you say that you have to re-seat the magazine? Or did I misunderstand?
If you have to re-seat the mag, then you either have a prob. with your mag or with your mag release.

jetdriver
April 2, 2006, 07:49 PM
No sir. The magazine is fully seated. Basically I was tapping on the base of the mag - and that caused the bullet to seat and the slide to go fully into battery. This was with Remington ball practice ammo - 230 grain. I could duplicate the problem unloading the mag with my thumb. It seems every few rounds one would not "nose up" fully into the feed lips of the mag but sit horizontally.

Dark Wolf
April 2, 2006, 08:13 PM
I would work on my mag. Give it a good cleaning, and make sure that there aren't any problems there. If that does not do it, I would try a different mag, and just see what happens.
That would be my best guess, assuming that there is no mechanical probs with the pistol. It does not sound as if there are.

joecad
April 2, 2006, 08:43 PM
one your mag could be out of spec insomuch as the mag catch slot maybe either too large or too small or in the wrong position. i have had mags come loose accompanied by the next round ftf. if so try a third party magazine.....a good one like wolff, metalformmagazines etc if possible...

secondly check you extractor for proper tension.
and as a possible 3rd possibility see if the follower is prone to either having its leading edge raise more than it should or is getting snagged on a burr in the mag tube

jetdriver
April 2, 2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks. I'll try that. It seems that the mag seats solidly, it's just not feeding rounds reliably. Part of the problem is it uses rare Kimber Ten II doublestack mags, which are somewhat rare and expensive. I will not give up hope on the pistol though.