PDA

View Full Version : First 1911.

.50DE
April 1, 2006, 10:05 PM
Well I picked up my first 1911 yesterday, Colt Commander. I can't wait to get it to the range and put some rounds through it. Seeing as how I'm used to My .50 Desert eagle, up till now my only handgun I'm looking forward to getting some range time in with it. I did pick up some wilson combat mags and a couple other WC goodies at the last gunshow. Since this model is new to me and about all I have done is take it apart and clean and lube it is there any adice or pointers you guys can offer? little quirts I should exspect?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/Direwolf3050/commanderresize.jpg

BUCKMARK
April 1, 2006, 10:33 PM
Congrats on the new Colt!

The only thing I think needs replaced is the stupid "duck bill" grip safety that Colt uses. It looks bad, and dosen't allow the shooter to keep the hand high on the gun. Wilson Combat makes a stainless "drop in" high ride beaver tail safety that dosen't require the frame to be re-shaped. Brownells sells then for $30.00.

Other than that, it really only needs lots of ammo!

Colt makes a sweet 1911. My favorite! They shoot well and they are a little slice of American history. Another great thing is to see how they do in the Blue Book after a few years... Colt pistols hold their value better than most.

Long live Colt!

BUCKMARK
April 1, 2006, 10:39 PM
double tap.

.50DE
April 2, 2006, 02:10 AM
I hear ya on that. The high ride beave tail safety was one of the goodies I grabed before even taking delivery of my pistol, along with an extended slide release. I have a Leo friend who has dozens of 1911's who offered to fit both these parts on for me.