PDA

View Full Version : 22/45 Help!!

Waffen
March 28, 2006, 08:14 PM
I recently purchased a Ruger 22/45 MKIII and was trying to disassemble it after the first range session. I had it all apart, and then was beginning to put it back together. All was going well until I had to put the mainspring housing back in the rear of the grip.

There is a cylindrical piece that is supposes to lock into the frame and then continue into the upper, and it will appear behind the rear site. Anyway I was trying to put this whole assembly back in and the cylindrical piece slipped forward while I was tapping it with a mallet. Now I have the mainspring stuck in the rear of the pistol and I can't get it out. I have tried everything I can think of... and I still can't get this mainspring back out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent about 2 hours already and I can't figure it out for the life of me!

CajunBass
March 28, 2006, 09:10 PM
Waffen, I have done the same thing twice, and the only thing I can tell you is to keep fooling with it. Turn it every which way you can and try to move it. I was about ready to take mine to the gunsmith a few weeks ago, but put it aside for a couple of days, came back and fiddled with it some more, and all of a sudden it just came out. DO NOT FORCE IT.

The best advice I can give you about putting a MK III back together is to follow the directions TO THE LETTER. Get your wife to read them to you if you have to a couple of times. I know for me there is a tendency to forget to put the magazine in or take it out at the right time.

Good luck. Sorry I can't be any more help than that.