PDA

View Full Version : 115 Grain .308

CapeFear
May 6, 1999, 10:46 AM
O'wise ones I need help, again. I was given 1,000 .308 115 grain lubed and sized cast bullets. They are of commerical manufacture. Can anyone recommend a good starting load? I will be shooting them out of a Remington 700 in 308 or 30-06. I tried one starting load in the Lyman #47 manual and decided it won't work for me. I tried three different seating depths and still couldn't cover the group with my hand at 50 yards. Anyone have a tried and true load? I only want it to plink with and subsonic would be even better.
A second question if I can. While reading on this board (I think) a while back someone mentioned a way to clean brass using water and some type of cleaner. I have three five gallon buckets of 38 Special brass so I will tumble it if necessary but an alternate way would help. If you think this is not a good way to clean brass please tell me, I am here to learn. Thanks for your answers guys I appreciate all the help I get here.

fal308
May 6, 1999, 11:35 AM
Walt Marshall answered a similar question about using water. Use the Show Topics from... in the upper right to go back far enough to 2/17/99. Then open up the thread entitled Can I wash my brass with water?. Or use the search option using water as the search word for possibly more information. HTH

Art Eatman
May 9, 1999, 12:40 PM
Small powder charge take up a small percentage of the volume of the case, and do not "be in the same place" or arrangement for each shot. Ignition is somewhat different from shot to shot, so group sizes are problematical. And this is why a filler is used, including stuff like oatmeal. Makes for a mess in front of the shooting bench.

Guessing, some 10 or 12 grains of 2400 would give less than subsonic velocities. I've used 20 grains with 169-gr. gaschecks in an '06 to get around 1,800 fps...

Anyhow, try using some sort of filler so that whatever powder charge you're using will be held uniformly against the primer.

CapeFear
May 10, 1999, 03:47 PM
Thanks gents. I enjoy reloading rounds for special applications and often find myself in new territory. I will pass along any successful results.

Fred
May 10, 1999, 04:46 PM
CapeFear,

You might want to get a copy of Lee's book "Modern Reloading". If memory serves me, he devotes a whole chapter to the shooting of light loads, and even includes a small spreadsheet formula that will let you calculate various reduced powder charges. I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a look see for you.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited May 10, 1999).]

Paul B.
May 11, 1999, 12:35 PM
Cape Fear. I have some data for gallery loads from Handloader magazine. The bullets used in the article are only 90 to 100 grains in weight, but I have used the data with 115 to 120 grain bullets with no problem in both the 30-06 and .308 Win.
If you will E-mail me your E-mail address, I will send you what I have. These are very light loads that are not much good beyond 25 to 35 yards for target shooting and small game. Velocity levels will run from 918 to 999 FPS in the .308 and 860 to 1098 FPS in the 06. I can give data that will exceed these levels, if you wish.
I suggest, if you want these loads, that you take a square of toilet paper (single ply) cut into 4 squares, and use a dowel to push it down to hold the powder against the primer for more positive ignition. It's kind of fun watching the confetti that comes out when you shoot.
Seriously though, E-mail me. I don't give data out publicly over forums due to liability concerns. You never know when some idiot will try to use the data and hurt himself, then sue me.
Another point. Getting accuracy will be a sometimes thing due to the bullet having to jump so far before engaging the rifleing. I guess you already know that, because you did mention trying different seating depths.
If you want the data, let me know.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!