PDA

View Full Version : .40 or .45 out of a short barrel?

Blade37db
March 26, 2006, 09:57 AM
I'm thinking about adding another Millenium Pro to my collection and I need some help deciding between a .40 and a .45. My two main questions are a) is one better than the other (ballistically) out of a 3.25 inch barrel and b) is there a significant recoil & flash difference between the 2?
I have fired a SIG 239 in .40 and it wasn't bad at all. It is a very nice gin, but I'm not crazy about the 7 + 1 capacity or the price.
Thanks.

Lou22
March 26, 2006, 10:17 AM
I haven't shot the .40, but I love my PT145. It has a great trigger (for a DAO), recoil is mild for such a light gun, it's accurate and reliable. And to top it off, it holds 10+1 of .45 auto. For only about $300 (though I have heard they've gone up in price some since the first of the year).

To answer your questions, I don't know about the ballistics, except that if you want to shoot 230gr non-+P, I'd recommend the Speer Short Barrel round for reliable expansion. As far as muzzle flash, I notice little or no flash on the indoor range I use when I shoot Wolf. I carry either Double Taps or Rangers, and I believe both use flash suppressant powder.

I bet you wouldn't be disappointed owning either gun.

Lou

FirstFreedom
March 26, 2006, 11:23 AM
*Generally speaking*, in a given barrel length, with a given amount of powder expanding at a given rate (due to similar pressures), the larger the caliber, the more area at the rear of the bullet (base) the expanding gases have to push against before it leaves the barrel, giving you greater efficiency with larger calibers, in terms of momentum (so-called 'knock-down' power). So, in a very short gun, I'd choose .45 acp. But that's not the only reason by any stretch why I'd choose .45 over .40. :)

Springfield XD40 Man
March 26, 2006, 02:59 PM
The 40 is more efficient in short barrels, higher velocity of the round to beginw with. Baseline velocity for non +p 45 ammo is around 900 fps, the 40 ammo runs 1150-1205 fps in 165 grain and 155 grain loads, from 4 inch barrels. In a 3.25 inch barrell, the 40 loads will still be clocking a good clip. That's not the only reason I would choose the 40 over the 45...:p :D

SIGLOCKAUR
March 27, 2006, 01:21 PM
In testing their were only a handful of jhp's that would reliably expand out of a 3" barreled .45. Most .45 rounds were designed to be fired out of a 5" barrel. Most do o.k. until you drop below 4". Then expansion is iffy. The .40 was originally designed with 4" barrel in mind. It is also a high pressure round. So the long and the short of it is out of such a short barrel it is easier to get good performance out of a jhp. The 9mm, .357 Sig, and .40 all generally perform better out of short tubes than does a .45.
That being said the Winchester Ranger 230gr. +p, Taurus all copper 185gr. jhp, and the Cor Bon Pow-r-ball all worked well in the short tubes in .45. I would guess the new short barreled Gold Dots and the new Cor Bon all copper rounds would also do well. So if you go with the .45 you will need to be more selective of your carry load to assure reliable expansion..

ShelbyV8
March 27, 2006, 06:36 PM
Both Speer and Corbon make short barrel 45acp ammo. I carry Corbon DPX 160 gr. in my PT145. 12 to 14 inches of penetration and .71 expansion. This is a standard pressure round so recoil is mild.