PDA

View Full Version : To .17 mach 2 or not to .17 mach 2? That is the question.

FirstFreedom
March 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
I'm really thinking of getting one of the new CZ453 Varmints, but it's only available in .22lr and .17mach2. I'm leaning heavily toward the .22lr of course, because I do not want to add yet another caliber to my already-chaotic shooting sports lineup. But then again, the main appeal is the accuracy potential of the necked cartridge, and accuracy/target shooting will be what this gun is all about. It will see little to no hunting time, so the improved trajectory is little to no appeal as a result. But the accuracy potential is. So,

1. Given that there are buttloads of match quality ammos available for .22lr, would these likely be just as accurate as any of the limited offerings in mach 2, if not more so? In other words, which factor carries the day - the immobilization of the necked cartridge in the chamber by headspacing on the shoulder (.17 mach 2), or very high quality ammo (.22lr)?

2. Is the mach 2 *louder* than the .22lr, or the same noise level?

3. Any other things to consider?

Dang, I wish they made the .453 Varmint in .17 hmr!

Scorch
March 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
Well, there are a lot of things to consider in this sport, aren't there? New toys or old toys?

My opinion (it's worth exactly what you are paying for it) to your questions:

1. Yes, there are a lot of ammo types, and the match ammo will not necessarily shoot better out of a production gun than some other type. Having said that, match ammo is much more consistent than your average WlaMart bulk box stuff. I have not bought a Mach 2 for this and other reasons. Accuracy in the Mach 2 is not necessarily better than 22 ammo. The ads always try to make you think it fires guided missiles, but nobody ever says anything different about their stuff. 22 lr has been around for a long time and the issues of heeled bullets vs platen bullets has been addressed pretty thoroughly. Many brands of 22 lr ammo vary almost nothing in velocity due to the low pressures you are dealing with. Besides, have you ever tried cleaning a .17 caliber barrel? They foul easily and are hard to clean.

2. Higher pressure = more muzzle blast. Having said that, I haven't taken a dB meter out and measured the reports, just seem louder to me.

3. Just what you said. Not many options in ammo, availability of match ammo for the 22, reliability of the platform. Also add availability of ammo in remote areas, barrel maintenance. Besides, if you live in an area where the wind blows a lot, the 17 caliber bullets get pushed around a lot in the wind. And past 150 yds, the little pill really slows down fast (of course, the 22 slows down a lot out there too).

FirstFreedom
March 23, 2006, 01:17 PM
All right, thanks! :) I think I will stick to the tried & true .22lr.

Smoke Screen
March 23, 2006, 01:23 PM
For those exact reasons, I have stuck with the 22 too. Nothing soooo super-tastic has come up w/the .17 that has made me open up my wallet. Oh, thanks for the posts about Nutria in OK. I appreciate it. I'll see if I can take some out w/my tried and true, .22! :)