PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920LE and Bushmaster Varminteer marriage?

Gaiudo
March 23, 2006, 03:31 AM
Greetings,

I am going to pick up a Colt 6920LE this summer for a wedding present (to myself, lovely, I know). I made the decision on the Colt principally because I want a primary carbine I can trust, I don't mind spending the extra for the Colt, and since I am planning on enrolling in Pat Rogers' course REALLY don't want something that will fail on me half-way through. This AR will be intended exclusively for its designed purposes, no apologies needed for deficiencies it might have for more recreational purposes.

However, I admittedly do the vast majority of the shooting at 500-800 yard paper or more interactive targets (read... groundhogs), up to now exclusively with bolt guns. After deciding on the Colt, I got a bit of a hankering to see what the AR platform will do at longer ranges. Obviously, the Colt isn't designed for this use. I did, however, read a few reviews on the Bushmaster Varminteer, and that got me to thinking. Is it possible to drop a Bushmaster Varminteer/or comparable upper into the Colt 6920? This would provide the heavier barrel/et al, for an additional, oh, $700 for the upper, without the cromed barrel and increase my range out there quite a bit more.

I know, all tactical trainers in the area immediately cring, as well as the varminters out there. But let me just hear from y'all: is this match even feasible/reasonable? I realize the trigger from the 6920 isn't exactly optimal, but I was thinking of putting in a two-stage into the Colt anyways (though maybe thats a no-no?). I don't really have the money in the budget to just go out and buy two AR's (the Colt is pushing it already!), but would like to see what the AR platform can do. Do you think the Colt lower will work for this kind of thing?

One thing that I see on the Varminteer is that they only offer the 1:9 barrel, and since I was thinking of shooting a heavier bullet for the longer work, wonder that they don't offer something in 1:7 or even 1:8. RRA offers a similar heavy upper in 1:8, so that looks appealing too. Other options would be appreciated. If I could save a bit of money by getting a two-fer, that would be nice.

Thoughts? Just plain stupid? Etc.

Nick

1BadF350
March 23, 2006, 06:53 AM
Awsome!

Rivers
March 23, 2006, 11:19 AM
The Bushmaster VarmintER upper will fit on the Colt lower, assuming that the Colt lower uses mil-spec "small" pins. I believe there are adapters, in case the Colt lower has the non-mil-spec "large" pins.

Must suck to have an AR and be limited to 5 rounds.

Gaiudo
March 23, 2006, 07:37 PM
I don't think that the Varminteer is limited to 5, just that the mag shipped with it is a five rounder, given state laws. But on THAT level, yeah, kinda castrating to walk around with an AR and only five rounds.

I think that Colt is going back to the smaller pins on the 6920, last I heard anyways, and there are adapters. I think it would fit just dandy.

Gaiudo
March 23, 2006, 07:42 PM
might look something like this:

Wish I had some better pics to photo-shop. :-)

Rivers
March 23, 2006, 08:33 PM
I assumed that you were in Canada, where only 5-rd. mags are permitted. I handled a Bushy Varminter at our local range coupla years back. Didn't shoot it, but it sure looked nice. I'm been really happy with my Bushy Shorty...have shot a few .5" groups @100 yds, using my reloads and match bullets.

Gaiudo
March 23, 2006, 10:25 PM
Ah, true, right you are. However, the Canada situation will quickly be taken care of. I'm heading home from graduate school in a month. We just leave all our guns across the boarder (15 miles from here), head down on the weekends to shoot by Lindon. Its annoying, but at least we can get some weekly range time in. They have a nice club down there.

I've see that Varminteer, it looks nice. I don't know which Varmint model to go for, that Bushy or the RRA Varmint model which is also looking excellent. I know that the RRA has a wonderful trigger job on it, but Bushmaster has been dropping in some nice ones as well. Price might be a consideration, since the RRA is a bit cheaper. I know next to nothing on which one is better between the two, probably a toss-up.

Nick

Lycanthrope
March 23, 2006, 11:20 PM
For under $700 you can get a true long range upper from White Oak Armament that will handle the heavier bullets recommended for that range.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/custom_uppers/var2.jpg

HSMITH
March 23, 2006, 11:31 PM
Those White Oak guns flat shoot, incredible really what they are capable of.

I have seen a couple of HB uppers from DPMS that flat shoot too. If you can afford the White Oak by all means go that way, if the budget is a little tight you can pick up a DPMS that will shoot pretty well too.

Gaiudo
March 24, 2006, 09:55 PM
Wow, lov'n the white oak. Thanks for the pic! I'll be looking into that. Its at the same price as the Bushy, looks really nice. I'll have to read up on it. If there are other long range uppers built for those heavy rounds you know of, send them my way! I suppose I can pick up a better buttstock later, as I doubt that collapsable from Colt will be great, but at this point it makes a quick swap from carbine to rifle. What is that white oak chambered in, .223 or 5.56? Does the tighter chambering for the .223 make much of a difference when it comes to throwing those longer range shots out there? Thanks for the info, I'm excited now!

Nick

Lycanthrope
March 24, 2006, 11:07 PM
For long range the White Oak is the best buy.

For shorter range and lighter bullets you can check this out for guranteed .5 MOA. (Clark Gator)

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/images/gator02.jpg

Or...if you have expendable cash flow.......

There is always the JP rifle...

http://www.jprifles.com/photos/CTR02E2%20copy.jpg