PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 or M1

stevekolt
March 14, 2006, 10:19 PM
Seems like New Jersey is getting ready for another ban :soap:
The new assault rifle ban will make any rifle with a detachable clip, and pistol grip an outlawed firearm. The last ban allowed the owners of these types of weapons to pay a fee and have them "grandfathered" as legal. There is no certainty that that will be the case this time. Would you:
1. Buy the AR in hopes of having the ability to "grandfather" the weapon

OR

2. Buy the M1.

This is for home defense and target shooting and of course WTSHTF

Any advice would be appreciated.

DimitriS
March 14, 2006, 10:36 PM
Buy the AR and get Grandfathered :cool:

The M1 you could get later :)

Dimitri

FirstFreedom
March 14, 2006, 11:02 PM
I would do #1 and #3. #3 is move to a free state as soon as possible. Your M1 Carbine would have to be grandfathered as well, since it has a detachable mag. J/K - I know you meant a Garand. :p

stevekolt
March 14, 2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the replies!
1. There is no guarantee of it being grandfathered
2. The detachable magazine is OK (today) as long as there is no pistol grip :mad:

Moving is not an option at this time as we have 5 grandchildren local!

yorec
March 15, 2006, 01:31 AM
I'd get the AR - dispose of it if and when it not longer is legal to own... And you MAY get to keep it. Then buy the M1 with the proceeds, if you haven't already picked one up before being forced by the commies to dispose of your property...

Easy choice.

chemist308
March 15, 2006, 01:56 AM
Save your money on both. You can put it towards closing costs or use it to pay for the U-Haul to come over to PA where it you can be a law abiding citizen and still own a gun. Look on the bright side, crossing that bridge will be the best $3 - $12 (depending on where you cross) you ever spent.

Seriously though, M1. NJ's firearm laws are just too screwed up to take the chance with an AR15. Good luck.