PDA

View Full Version : How to Improve J-frame sight

Jhp147
November 2, 2000, 05:47 PM
The gun is a stainless/aluminum 642. The front sight is of the integral variety, and is the same stainless color. I vanishes under some lighting conditions, and the groove in the back strap is a bit too narrow. Anybody know of a way to improve the visibility of these sights? Black permanent marker has helped, but I was looking for something a bit nicer. How much to mill off and put in a pinned sight?

------------------
Shamans emerge whenever certain needs remain unanswered...Mark Levy

JimWolford
November 2, 2000, 07:30 PM
I own and shoot a variety of J frame Smiths, and i have come to the conclusion that the fixed factory sight is mostly decorative :)

I have tried paint, magic marker, fingernail polish, you name it, and shooting in an indoor range with artificial light they all just disappear :(

You could get a smith to install a set of factory-style adjustables but that sort of cancels the usefulness as a pocket gun.

Easiest way out is to start practicing "instinct shooting" and ignore the sights unless outside in bright daylight.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be

CJO
November 2, 2000, 09:08 PM
jhp, Ashley can put a Big Dot on your revolver.....

Jhp147
November 3, 2000, 07:08 AM
Thanks, I have an E-mail out to Ashley right now on this. Their literature refers to the front sight replacing the newer, pinned on style. I'm wondering if the cost of milling and replacing will be prohibitive.

LIProgun
November 3, 2000, 09:49 AM
Degrease the front site and use Birchwood Casey flat (not glossy) black paint pen to coat the front sight. It is a pretty durable finish and is cheap and easy to touch-up if cleaning solvents remove it.

Also, you can send the gun to a night-sight maker like IWI (Innovative Weaponcy, maker of P-T Night Sights) and have them install a tritium dot in the front sight. Combine that with the black paint as above and you have a good sight picture night and day.

beemerb
November 3, 2000, 10:31 AM
Some around here take them to gunsmiths and have the rear groove widened with a mill.I haven't shot one of these but the claim is sight are much easer to find,

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

Mike Irwin
November 3, 2000, 02:05 PM
I'm seriously thinking about both widening the groove along the top strap and making the sight narrower.

I'm thinking a face cutting file (won't cut on the edge) might be the way to go.

I'm sort of nervous about that, though, as I really don't want to screw up my new 042 Smith.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!

Nestor Rivera
November 3, 2000, 03:16 PM
If all else fails try either a Fiber-optic mount or a Laser.

Jhp147
November 3, 2000, 06:22 PM
Info for all you folks who appear to be in the same boat I am: Just got off the phone with the Law Enforcement Sales rep for Ashley. They currently CANNOT do anything with the integral style fron ramp, not enough metal in the rib to allow dovetail work. They are currently working on a system which MAY eventually work like the shotgun bead system that allows you to epoxy something over the existing sight. Meanwhile, looks like my black marker (although more professionally done by LIProgun) is the only inexpensive solution. I have heard of widening the topstrap, but can't do it myself. I would have to see the gunsmith's work on an aluminum frame firsthand before trusting him with it, but have heard the Gunsite Smithy does this (maybe on steel frames only). Thanks for input.