PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 trigger job?

stubby
October 23, 2000, 08:19 AM
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the trigger on a model 77. It is fine except it is about 10 pounds (a guess). I would take it to my local gunsmith for the usual trigger job but he is so busy, I wouldn't get it back before the deer season (five weeks). I really hate to use it with the current lousy trigger. I know, I should have done my trading earlier but you know how it goes!!! Stubby

mickthenailer
October 23, 2000, 10:37 AM
Stubby. This link should give you all the information you need. http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

stubby
October 23, 2000, 11:05 AM
I appreciate the site and instructions but it appears to be way beyond the skills. I guess i will call my gunsmith and BEG!!!!! Thanks for the information anyway. Stubby

Art Eatman
October 23, 2000, 11:19 AM
I have a 77 Mk II; I replaced the Ruger tort-liability trigger with a Timney. The only machining needed can be done (carefully) on an ordinary bench grinder--cutting the safety's tang to proper length. Piece of cake. You can find the Timneys for around $70 to $75. They're easy to adjust, once installed.

FWIW, Art

Kernel
October 23, 2000, 11:10 PM
Art, Maybe I don't understand but doesn't the MkII have a Mauser style three position safety on the rear of the bolt independent of the trigger? The old M77 (MkI?) had a tang mounted trigger safety. Not trying to be a smart a*s, just wanted to know. I've got a M77 MkII and I was thing about putting a Timney on it as well. -- Kernel

weegee
October 24, 2000, 12:06 AM
Art--Natchez usually has the Timney for about $55.00, probably the best price out there.

Kernel--the Timney has an extension that has to be ground down to allow the 'swing' safety to pivot through it's arc. That's the 'tang' Art is referring to. It's easy to do, but has to be done slowly and carefully with a lot of trial fitting to avoid taking off too much.

This Timney is so good and so simple you have to wonder why it took them so long to come out with a MkII trigger.