PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Multiple Guns On Your Person

SrtDog
March 8, 2006, 01:04 PM
I've been doing alot of reading here. Very interesting points of view, and very interesting people. I can understand most people, and where they're coming from. What I dont understand is why so many people carry numerous guns.

The way I see it, carry one reliable pistol, with enough rounds to do what needs doing. I carry one Glock 23, with a spare mag, and pair of hand cuffs. Both mags are hi cap 15 rounders. I figure thats about all that I'll need until either one of us are dead, or the cops show up.

Also, if you carry 3 guns, how many spare mags for each. And, if you're carrying 3 or 4 guns on your person, and have a couple spare mages for each one, how do you effectively conceal all of that?

Anyway, I'm just curious why you would carry like 3 guns. Not tryin to "dis" anyone, just trying to better understand.

threegun
March 8, 2006, 02:03 PM
Many people carry multiple guns for many reasons. The one that seems to stand out is for faster access with either hand being able to get one. Personally I find it hard to carry a spare mag much less an extra gun. Here in Florida jackets and such are difficult to keep on in the heat forcing a deeper type of concealment or a fanny pack. I'm only 5'8" so their ain't much room already. I also don't feel the need to carry more than one but to each his own.

rmagill
March 8, 2006, 02:13 PM
I don't know if you consider two guns "numerous", but the main reason I carry two guns (one strong side and one on the ankle) is for access. It is impossible to draw my primary gun while sitting, seatbelted in my truck. It is much easier and faster to draw from the ankle holster. For me, the point is simply accessability. With two guns, I have quick, easy access to a firearm in just about any position I reasonably expect to find myself in. (BTW, I carry two spare mags for the primary and no reloads for the BUG).

exar
March 8, 2006, 02:53 PM
The way I see it, carry one reliable pistol, with enough rounds to do what needs doing. I carry one Glock 23, with a spare mag, and pair of hand cuffs.
Harmless question. Srt, are you LE? If not, were you planning on handcuffing someone who is endangering your life? I only ask because I was under the impression that holding them at gun point and contacting LE would be the best course of action instead of physically engaging this person.

PythonGuy
March 8, 2006, 03:01 PM
Maybe he lives in a Country with no laws or Police, Perhaps he is in Iraq? I could never believe anyone on here would try to play cop, do you??

Doug.38PR
March 8, 2006, 03:03 PM
Harmless question. Srt, are you LE? If not, were you planning on handcuffing someone who is endangering your life? I only ask because I was under the impression that holding them at gun point and contacting LE would be the best course of action instead of physically engaging this person.

I know my name isn't SRT. But just as a guess, I would say throw the handcuffs to them while holding them at gun point and telling them to put them on. Or cuffing them after they are down and shot to see that they can't reach for a gun while overplaying their reaction to pain.

Otherwise I would say calling the cops and holding them at gunpoint would be better

USNavy_233
March 8, 2006, 03:21 PM
Aside from the already stated point of access if in a constrained position (I.E, seat belt on while carrying in the waist band) I can't see any reason for an extra gun UNLESS you are a LEO. Personally, my P226 w/ 15 rounds and 2 extra 15 rounders is more than enough to get me through any encounter. Also, to the comments of the handcuffs, I'm not sure cuffing someone who you drew down on would be a great idea. If you were in fear for your life you would have shot them center mass in which case they're probably not going to be moving around much, even if they live through it. Cuffing them and waiting for a LEO seems a little...cavalier to me. I wonder what impression that scene would have on the LEOs who responded to the call. Thoughts?

Webleymkv
March 8, 2006, 03:26 PM
Some prefer to carry more than one gun in place of reloads. This is the case with many of us who prefer a revolver which is relatively low capacity and comparatively slow to reload. Others do not have complete faith in the reliability of any one firearm. Personally, I've never seen the need to carry multiple pistols. I don't make a habit of frequenting dangerous areas, so I figure that a five or six-shot revolver is all I really need. From the civilian point of view, if one lived or frequented an area where it is likely that you will need numerous rounds (certain areas of the Middle East, Africa, or Central and South America come to mind) then I guess I could see a need for it. Then again, if I were in such a position I'd probably have more formidable weapons than a handgun anyway.

threegun
March 8, 2006, 03:40 PM
While I don't carry them, I do own zip tie style cuffs. I am not LE however if I have a badguy at gunpoint awaiting police and they are willing to cooperate by laying on the ground and placing their hands behind their back. I would much rather cautiously bind the hands than allow an attacker to remain a standup threat. If I did try to bind them it would be after they were made very clear that if they moved I would shoot them. I have cuffed many people in both high school criminal justice course (practice) and here at our pawnshop. If you get them to put their hands behind their back and interlace their fingers before approaching it is much harder for them to turn on you.

Mikeyboy
March 8, 2006, 04:01 PM
Ok I'm going to play lawyer. Guys, Guys, Guys....CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS...Carrying and using handcuffs or zip-ties may be a little on the gray side. I'm thinking of issues with impersonating an officer or carrying/using an instrument of crime (holding someone against their will at times can be illegal). You got a BG at gunpoint, he tries to attack, you shoot him and if he runs, be a good witness. Trying to handcuff someone without proper training is difficult. Keep the handcuffs in the bedroom ;)

P.S I with Web...I carry a snubbie and a 3" folding knife (needs no reloading), and that is it. I try to avoid bad neighborhoods, if I am going somewhere bad, maybe I carry more, but nothing more that 2 guns.

shooter_john
March 8, 2006, 04:02 PM
Carrying more than two guns seems a little much to me, unless your are in an area where you are absolutlely certain your gonna need that many guns. I always carry a BUG when I'm on duty, but off duty I carry one gun and a spare mag, that's it. I also try and keep a pair of handcuffs at least in the car, but rarely on my person. The only time I really plan on getting involved in something off duty is if it is life or death, so I don't mind letting the uniformed officers who arrive cuff the dead guy.
I'm a pretty big guy, and I don't know how I could conceal more than two guns.

Glenn E. Meyer
March 8, 2006, 04:06 PM
It all depends on your evaluation of risk.

The modal or standard internet scenario for a civilian seems to be the one mugger incident.

One mugger approaches. You draw and the mugger is deterred or you fire about three shots and they are done for.

Guns never act up and/or you are never disarmed. You never have your shooting side with the gun disabled such that you might be better off with a BUG on the other side.

Thus one gun will met the probable situation. Some folks like to consider the possible.

1. Your gun bellies up. Not the mag but the gun. I could list how and what I've seen but it happens.

2. Maybe you have your big boomer under a heavy weather garment and you drop a small one in your outside pocket.

There are other reasonable things that could happen. The model is that in 30+ years of driving, I've only had a flat a few times. But I always have a spare.

Will I get in a fight with one hand immobilized so that it is quicker to go to the BUG - hasn't happened yet but it is possible.

That's the reason. Three - just because you can! :D

Normally, I don't feel that I'm behind the curve too much with a J frame based on risk assessment on the one mugger set up. Could I face a more threatening incident where I would want more oomph. Happened once in my life but that was solved by the other tactic of fleeing!! If I just had a J and could shoot like a God, still would have been 1 more guy. Oh, well. Maybe seeing me as a steely eyed dealer of death would make him flee. :D

In FOF, I did find a J facing 4 guns with sims and a fully auto airsoft - left me bleeding. But I would have been nailed if I were carrying anything. The hail of fire was impressive. Learned a tactical lesson though.

threegun
March 8, 2006, 04:35 PM
I have had the floor plate fall off my Glock (stinkin plus 2 thing) dropped all the bullets,spring, and follower. Turn betty into a single shot hammer. Would have been bad for me if it was needed at that moment. Thats one reason I will never argue against more than one gun.

P.S. I will never own another mag with a plus two on it either.

Mannlicher
March 8, 2006, 07:04 PM
Its a 'gun nut thing', you wouldn't understand :)

DonR101395
March 8, 2006, 07:16 PM
I carry two because I can. A G19 and a 642. Boy Scout training always be prepared. If someone carries one that cool, if they carry 5 that's cool. Just carry because you can. I make no distinction between a "good" part of town and a "bad" part of town. I will occasionally get lazy and only take the 642 out to get milk, but not very often.

SrtDog
March 8, 2006, 11:37 PM
Let me first start off by saying that yes I am a cop, and a staunch supporter of the constitution (notice I'm a member of TFL). And the cop part, thats why I routinely carry cuffs-expecially when I'm off duty. When I'm in plain clothes I always see people doing the bad things that people do. And I never look the other way.

As far as if I responded somewhere and found a BG cuffed up by a responsible gun owner...I would be telling that story for years. Of course there would be the initial funny looks, and the why the hell are you carrying cuffs questions. But, looking at the bigger picture, I would much rather have a responsible gun owner cuff someone up vs. pointing the gun at them till the cops arrived. Contingent of whether or not they would put them on, of course. And if I'm at gun point, every time I will:
A. Keep an eye on the BG through the front sight post until back up arrives.
B. Throw the cuffs to them to put on.

If its serious enough to draw down, I'm not getting in the danger zone until they are secure.

With me responding to someone in cuffs, if I showed up and saw a mall ninja with someone down looking at an AK...boys gotta remember, first impressions. Like it or not, its part of life.

Ankle guns. When I'm on duty I carry one. But off duty I dont.

Webleymkv mentioned something about dangerous areas. In my opinion, the most dangerous area I go on a regular basis is Wal-Mart. Every skel, and every hype goes to Wal-Mart for anything and everything.

But, this does pose a new question. Are there certain places that will prompt you to carry more than usual?

#18indycolts
March 8, 2006, 11:47 PM
people do things different. some carry cash, some don't. some speed, some don't. we're human and can make decisions.:cool:

CWO4USCGRET
March 9, 2006, 12:04 AM
I carry one while at work - we can not carry a back-up. As a knife dealer and collector, I will submit that I do have a few extra knives handy though...

Off duty, I carry one; and up to 2 spare magazines too...and oh yes, when I remember, handcuffs; flexcuffs or the real deal. WHY? It gives me an option and more importantly, addresses intent. As a trained professional I can hear the plaintiff's attorney hammer home the questions about my training, about why I shot, about why was I negligent by not having an alternative to shooting the perp.

Taking another human's life is a serious deal here guys...not to be bantered about as casually as it is sometimes on the fourms...it should be the last option exercised...I get the distinct feeling that some of you are going around with CCWs looking for the opportunity to "waste the bad guy;" I assure you if you go out looking for trouble, it will find you - and come in an industrial sized 55 gallon drum of KICK-ASS.....don't look for it, but if it does find you then by all means go home safe at the end of the day...

BobK
March 9, 2006, 12:53 AM
I will always carry two guns. It's not a paranoid knee jerk reaction. I have seen brand new out of the box guns break let alone guns that have been used and well taken care of. Working part time at a range, I have seen ALL brands and types of handguns break or malfunction for various reasons. By carrying two guns, I have more options and more of an advantage over those who only carry one. I can't tell you how many times I've heard this: "Gosh! good thing my gun broke here at the range and not when I really needed it!"
So, what are the advantages you ask? Here are a few that I can think of.

1. New York reload always beats a regular reload.
2. A second gun can be carried in the jacket/pants pocket with your hand already on the gun.
3. If one gun malfunctions, then there is another to fall back on.
4. If needed, a spouse or freind can use the second gun.
5. If seated in a auto and can't reach your primary, the second gun came be placed somewhere close by.

Carry what you like. I like two.:D

newworldCurmudgeon
March 9, 2006, 05:38 AM
+1 Bobk and Glenn

Also in my case, My wife always changes sides, so I either have to carry 2 or move my wife to my weak side, I'll just carry 2. Besides once my wife decides what she wants to carry , I have a good reason to look for a mutltiple gun discount on the purchase (she likes glock .45s right now, and we should have interchangeable magazines right :D ) I also occaisionally carry a colt DS as a bug.

I have carried at one time
1x 1911 GI
1x SA 1911 ultra compact
1x glock 30
1x Colt DS

I had just got back from Iraq and wanted to take my babies to the range :cool:

SrtDog, a quick question....Skel a skinny crack addict? Hype a Methhead? just want to make sure I have the current slang down.

As for certain places I would carry more than usual...in the states no, I would avoid places that I felt I needed more "protection" in as much as possible

garrettwc
March 9, 2006, 09:20 AM
Ankle guns. When I'm on duty I carry one. But off duty I dont.
Why do you carry a BUG on duty?

Then ask yourself, why isn't that reason valid when I'm off duty? After all, you carry your cuffs and badge, and said that you would intervene if necessary. So if you are willing to take the same action on duty or off, shouldn't you have the same preparation?

As to why carry a second gun? Because guns are mechanical devices that can break. I bought a new gun and took it to the range to practice. I ran the popular "200 round reliability test" to determine if it would be OK to carry. The extractor broke on round 201 and the gun was down for the count. If that had been on the street and I didn't have a backup, where would that leave me.

threegun
March 9, 2006, 12:33 PM
Jesus, you guys are going to make me start carrying my P-32 as a second gun again.

WhyteP38
March 9, 2006, 02:36 PM
In addition to what BobK, Glenn, and newworldCurmudgeon have already posted, if you are proficient on your support side ("weak" side seems inaccurate to me) and carry a 2nd gun on that side, you have another option if some BG with a knife or gun takes your strong side hand out of action.

I am better on my strong side, so the Commander rides there. The Bersa T380 rides on my support side. For my mundane lifestyle, two are sufficient.

I don't look for trouble and have been known to go the extra mile to avoid it. But I want to be ready to get out of trouble if it finds me. So far, I've had only one time in 45 years in which I thought I'd need to pull the trigger. The idiot threatened to "get me" at my home, and the police couldn't respond in time. If the idiot had gotten through my front door, we both would have learned whether a 20-gauge shotgun filled with #4 magnum loads is adequate for self-defense. Fortunately for us both, the idiot wasn't that idiotic.

Striker
March 9, 2006, 03:00 PM
Glenn E. Meyer wrote:
It all depends on your evaluation of risk.

garrettwc wrote:
Why do you carry a BUG on duty?

Then ask yourself, why isn't that reason valid when I'm off duty? After all, you carry your cuffs and badge, and said that you would intervene if necessary. So if you are willing to take the same action on duty or off, shouldn't you have the same preparation?

+1 to both.

Redneckrepairs
March 9, 2006, 04:20 PM
Personaly i carry 2 small pistols with 1 reload for each ( a kahr pm9 and a kel-tech p3at ) I am former LE and have 4 or 5 sets of cuffs laying arround , i find they make good gunlocks at home when the grandkid comes over , take them out never . I will not hold anyone for the police , if they show up and the a$$hat is there then they can arrest him or take him to the er and arrest him , but i will not eaver stop anyone from leaving anywhere , folks it just isnt my job anymore . Now as to why i carry two small pistols , well one i reach easily with my right hand , and one i reach easily with my left hand , all reloads are carried left front pants pocket ( ya gotta tuck em somewhere ) anyway i wont carry an auto without a reload , and i carry two so that makes two reloads ( the mag size is diff enough i dont worry about attempting to put the 9mm mag into the .380 ) just my thoughts , your mileage may well vary

Hunter Rose
March 11, 2006, 12:20 AM
Once we have SOME form of CCW here in WI, the carry "arsenal" will be simple: 1991 Compact .45 @3:30 IWB, Smith 19 in Coronado vest, maybe the Taurus 850 at 10 (set to go to either hand). Why? The Taurus is a BUG (hence available to either hand), the .45 is primary (hence location), and the Smith will be living in the vest (in case I have to run out of the house without taking time to arm, or if I'm wearing a riding jacket zipped up: the vest happens to be my "colors"). Two reloads per weapon...

Excessive? Maybe: but I'd rather have it and not need it...

smince
March 11, 2006, 11:09 AM
You don't have to go out looking for trouble. I've found it is quite capable and ready to find you, when you least expect it. If I could predict when I might need a gun or a back-up, I'd just stay home that day. Or go buy a lottery ticket.:D It seems that every place is capable of becoming a "bad area" these days, although I know some are worse than others.

I carry a Colt Defender .45, one reload, and a J-frame for back-up. If I carry the J as primary, it has at least one reload. Guns break, guns jam, mags fail, ammo misfires, etc etc...

Handcuffing someone by yourself is dangerous at best, suicidal at worst.

sjstill
March 11, 2006, 01:02 PM
Doug.38PR writes;

But just as a guess, I would say throw the handcuffs to them while holding them at gun point and telling them to put them on.

NO NO NO!!! Don't ever throw the BG a weapon.

Or cuffing them after they are down and shot to see that they can't reach for a gun while overplaying their reaction to pain.

NO NO NO!!! Unless you've been trained in cuffing techniques, you're asking to have your gun taken away and used on you.

Otherwise I would say calling the cops and holding them at gunpoint would be better

Probably the only wise thing you've ever said here.....

FWIW, I carry a full-size 1911 IWB at 4.30 with 2 spare mags, a P32 in my left front pants pocket with 1 spare mag, and a J-frame in my r/h coat pocket (when I wear a heavy coat).

KC135
March 11, 2006, 06:35 PM
I always carry multiple guns, never carry cuffs.:)

Even tho I have been trained in cuffing techniques, I will not try to cuff a person by myself. The training is the reason.

I do carry Fox OC.

Rightwinger
March 11, 2006, 06:46 PM
One gun (Usually a 1911), three mags (one if it's the Glock), a folding knife, and a cell phone.

In this area, the police will be where I am, if I have fired a round, long before I could cuff an adversary.

I do like the ankle backup for driving, but I don't own anything small enough to ride on my ankle and not interfere with the clutch/brake pedals.

Model520Fan
March 11, 2006, 10:15 PM
Bingo!! We have a winner, posting as KC135.

I would say the same, except that I don't always carry OC. I probably should.

P.S. The quickie post above is in no way intended to belittle the well-thought-out contribution of Glenn E. Meyer on page 1 of this thread. Anyone who actually doesn't understand why some folks carry more than one gun should go back and read his response to the original question.

kjdoski
March 11, 2006, 11:03 PM
I always carry a backup gun. I carry a P226R at work, with one spare mag; and a P239 with one spare off duty. I'm stuck with Sigs only for the time being due to agency policy.

My backup, on or off duty, is a S&W 642. Why a backup? Lots of reasons:

1. In a weapon retention situation, it's a lot more effective to jam the muzzle of my 642 in someone and pull the trigger than it is to try any of the multiple unarmed defense tactics I'm trained to teach

2. If my primary goes down hard (mag self destructs, double feed, etc) it's much faster to transition to my backup and keep fighting my way to cover. Once behind cover, IF THE SITUATION PERMITS, then I can work on getting the primary back into business.

3, With my P239, no matter how I hold the pistol, my thumb puts pressure on the slide release lever, meaning that 8 or 9 times out of ten I end up with a slide forward reload. It's faster to transition to the backup and keep fighting than it is to swap mags and rack the slide on the 239.

Is it a PITA to carry two all the time - not so bad. The real hard part is concealing the primary carry gun; the 642 on the ankle, in the pocket, or IWB cross draw isn't that big of an issue.

Of course, this is one man's opinion, and worth what you paid for it.

Regards,

Kevin