PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg ATR = Poor Mans Tactical Rifle?

makugooh
March 6, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking about getting one and modifying it. I'ts cheap, and IMO shoots a good cartridge (.30-06 or .270) and is fairly accessory friendly(?) Your opinion on it's potential as a tactical/ sniper rifle would be apprecitated. Thanks

dave0520
March 6, 2006, 05:33 PM
I have heard they are very accurate (about 1 MOA) and very good quality for the money.

Fal 4 Me
March 6, 2006, 05:34 PM
IMHO, the Stevens would be better than the Mossberg.http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

There are few differences between this rifle and the Savage rifles. You'll find very few people complain about the performance of Savage rifles, look for the thread on the most underated bolt action rifle. It's avaiable in long and short action, offering a much wider variety of calibers. Aftermarket triggers are avaiable. And with an MSRP of $327, isn't very expensive at all. However, regardless of what advice you recieve, go out and handle both, fire both if possible, before making a final decision. Buy the one the feels right.

makugooh
March 6, 2006, 06:48 PM
Fal 4 Me; Does one model 200 shoot all of those calibers?:eek: Without mods? It (model 200) looks good and if I can shoot multiple calibers using a single platform (minus mods) then it may be the one for me. Hmm...good food for thought. Thanks :)

mjc
March 6, 2006, 06:54 PM
No, you have to pick :rolleyes: one! Anyway, i have to agree with some of the other guys on this, Savage has a great rep, they have been around long enough that it's easy to find mounts, stocks, etc. everywhere, and cheap. I have three (i think...) a 270, bought used years ago, never shoots over 1moa, a 243 that shoots consistant 1-3 moa with different sights (open vs scope), and a 308 that took a little time to tweak, but now shoots better then i can(-1moa) Package deals with scope are under $400.:D