PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Rem VS Stock

ogion
March 3, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hello, I am ummmming and arrrring about buying a Remington 700 VS .308. I like the rifle and I like the shape of the stock, but I do not like the grey spider webbing on the stock, I would just like it plain matte black. However, I do not want to screw up the stock from paint chippage etc. Can somebody please tell me how I can sucessfully paint the stock without buggering it up ?
Cheers.

mrawesome22
March 4, 2006, 04:53 AM
I would not advise on painting a stock made out of that material because I doubt you would find a paint that would stick well to it.

joshua
March 4, 2006, 05:26 AM
I you really want to the polyeurethane paint that comes in many different types of colors would work. I'm not sure if it comes in matte black but you can make it matte looking by spraying very thin layers at a time. Some say that paint used to under coat vehicles works great too. Be careful not to lay the paint thick by the inletted area for the action and barrel channel. josh

F1sh
March 4, 2006, 09:49 AM
I painted my stevens 200 stock with rustoleum textured pait for plastic, in matte black, and it seems to be sticking well, and will hopefully be a good base for a camo job. The texture is really nice IMO as well. Gives the gun a very surehanded feel.

rgitzlaff
March 4, 2006, 12:16 PM
Go here http://www.lauerweaponry.com/
Thier Duracoat seems to be pretty good stuff, I'll be camoing my 7mm as soon as my order arrives

Rivers
March 4, 2006, 01:11 PM
Call H-S Precision, the stock's manufacturer, and ask them what kind of paint THEY use.

seb5
March 5, 2006, 02:14 PM
I painted mine with Krylon. If you prep it first it will stick just fine. I wiped mine down with rubbing alcohol first. After a couple hundred rounds I touch up the grip area. The paint actually seems to adhere better to the stock than the rifle, possibly because of the rough texture on the stock.

Invicta
March 5, 2006, 08:26 PM
you should just sell/trade your stock for a factory black one. then if you ever want to sell your rifle the painting of the stock won't hurt resale value.

ogion
March 6, 2006, 03:48 AM
Hey, cheers guys. I take on board what everyone said and I will look further into it. Thankx for the advise !

Rivers
March 6, 2006, 10:45 AM
Maybe you should e-mail H-S, rather than calling. :p

ogion
March 7, 2006, 03:36 AM
haha I reckon, and with the $ I save I might be able to buy that paint.