PDA

View Full Version : Rusting XD'S?

CLYDE71
March 2, 2006, 05:29 PM
I was talking to a really nice guy this last weekend at the range, and we got on the subject about how we both like the new XD'S. And he told me he heard that the xd's are having troubles with rust.

I'm wondering if it's from certain parts of the country (coastal). Maybe guys that use them for service where they might be exposed to the elements. And what about putting a fine film of oil on them?

I'm looking to purchase one regardless, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

glock19er
March 2, 2006, 05:38 PM
the xd is like any other handgun out.there.a little care and maintence and they go a long way.if you wipe it down regular with breakfree lightly you wont have no problem with the so call rust tales they have.true there is some handguns that can rust faster then others but a little care goes a long way with a handgun.i have one and if i handle it i wipe it off every day,if i shoot it i clean it that day because i rely on my handgun to work and work right when i need it.:)

Petre
March 2, 2006, 06:45 PM
There is no problem with the current crop of XD's . The last generation had some minor problems with parts rusting.

The new XD's across the line are basically rust proof. (Or about as nearly so as you can get short of being all Stainless Steel and Aluminum)

Rainbow Six
March 2, 2006, 09:43 PM
The only handgun I've ever had that rusted easily was a Sig P220... If I worked in the rain it got light surface rust whether it was oiled or not. I've had other Sigs and numerous other pistols that I've carried without problems. I could probably start a rumor about Sigs having a "rust problem" if I told that story just right to the right person at the range, or in a gun store... It's a true story and I can't explain why that one Sig rusted so easily even with care when others I've had didn't... but even so, it doesn't signify a rust problem with Sigs in general. I take what guys tell me with a grain of salt, be it about guns, motorcycles, or otherwise... You can get some tall tales and some really biased "information" (using the term loosely) in gun shops, motorcycle dealerships, firing ranges, etc... ;)

Springfield XD40 Man
March 2, 2006, 10:58 PM
I wipe my XD down with a silicone gun cloth after every range session, and if it sits for awhile, I'll wipe it down at least once a week. I've yet to have a problem with rust, my XD was bought in 2002.

chris in va
March 3, 2006, 12:06 AM
Yup, my XD9 had some surface rust before I sold it. Not a lot, but enough to raise an eyebrow. Especially since it was only a couple months old.

MrApathy
March 3, 2006, 01:27 AM
its not just surface rust the guns were finished in rust. bluing and oxide finishes are RUST.

stainless steel will rust.

some people have a highly acidic sweat

if your worried about rust get the gun refinished with something more durable. good refinish that is way more rust resistant can cost $25-$50-$100 depending on what you want and from who.

parkerizing,parkerizing + overcoat,nickel,chrome

Petre
March 3, 2006, 09:00 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you here MrA ... to a point. It's true Stainless steel can appear to rust , but what you're usually looking at is something known as "rouging" whereby the SS is worn over another metal that can rust and is not allowed to form a protective layer of oxide. It's usually that other metal that is introduced to the surface that is in fact rusting.

Crevice corrosion is another way it can corrode , where a caustic substance is trapped in a crevice area , not allowing air to help the SS form and maintain it's self protecting layer of oxide.

With a minimum of care , stainless steel can remain completely rust free. Any surface rusting can literally be wiped away with a light nylon type abrasive and the SS will once again form a protective layer preventing rust.

Wilkenstein
March 3, 2006, 09:14 AM
I've owned my XD for a little over a year. The only rust I've experienced has been when handling with sweaty hands, placing in the holster and leaving untouched for a few days. This will leave a very light surface rust on the slide's coating. It wipes right off with just about anything within reach, including my own finger.

But if it helps I would still have bought if I knew about the problem beforehand. Werd is the current crop of 45acp's are getting a new coating which I would imagine trickling down to the rest of the line.

CLYDE71
March 3, 2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys for all your input. Was just wondering if anybody heard or seen this situation. I'm more than likely still going to get the XD 45

Again, thanks

nightman
March 4, 2006, 09:42 AM
The XD45 ACP is finished in Melonite, similar to Glock's finish. It won't rust. I've got one and had no problems. The problems occured with the earlier finishes, however mine gave me no problem. I did wipe it everyday I used it with Breakfree. After a year I had the 9mm 4" treated by Robar with their Roguard (black) finish on the slide and their NP3 (silver) finish on the internals. The perfect finish, since the gun can simply be wiped down to clean it. Nothing sticks to the NP3. And the Roguard is extremely tough, leave it in a leather holster and there's no problem with rust.

IS300_TRD
March 4, 2006, 12:09 PM
No rusts here.

Lieut96
March 4, 2006, 02:42 PM
The finish on newest XDs has been changed. It is much more durable. The rust isssue is no longer an issue. That being said I have an XD9 that is about 15 months old and with proper care I have never seen any rust.

Petre
March 5, 2006, 09:55 AM
That's right Lieut96 ... all new XD's have a very high quality melonite finish and stainless steel mags too.