PDA

View Full Version : Savage 330 O/U

Sgt68
March 1, 2006, 11:44 PM
I have recently purchased a Savage 330, 12 gauge O/U, made in 1970 by Valmet of Finland. This gun has a 28" F/M barrel set. They also offered a 26" M/I set and I understand that the barrel sets were interchangeable. One contemporary ad left me with the impression that you could even swap the 12 with a 20 guage set. Does anyone have experience with this gun? Have any idea where barrels can be obtained? Would other Valmet offerings such as the Model 412 have used the same barrels? Thanks for now.

ClarkEMyers
March 3, 2006, 12:12 PM
To the best of my knowledge and belief the differences are cosmetic. As I recall the 330 was one of a pair of imported O/U (also a 440) then offered by Savage and the 330 was a barebones shotgun. Later Valmet offered a dressed up version as the 412 and today the 512 is the same gun made in Italy.

I certainly can't say that barrels can be fitted so as to interchange but I do believe it. Notice that any barrel set must be fitted to the individual receiver and once fitted may not work with another receiver.

The sliding top cover lock is much easier to fit in the field and may well allow barrels to be used across different receivers but that is never guaranteed.

Sgt68
March 3, 2006, 11:59 PM
Very good point about individual fitting to the receiver. Thanks, Sgt68