PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger Condor Shotgun. Is it a good gun or not

Soni
February 27, 2006, 01:34 PM
I am in the market for a O/U Shotgun. How is the Stoeger Condor. And is it really made by Benelli.

Also what kind of a Shotgun is good for sporting clays.

Thanks

Soni

rugerdude
February 27, 2006, 09:12 PM
Well, it is a functional gun. It goes bang, but I think you ought to start looking at some other firearms.

My two beefs with the thing are as follows:

1. The finish is not real great, for some reason it REALLY liked to rust. I remember taking it out of the case to shoot it one day and it looked like a cheeto, so I put it in a hard case and it looked the same way the next time I took it out (both times were after about a week and a half of sitting with all of my other guns which were in the same kind of case and yet only the stoeger rusted)

2. The safety, because on the one I have, it likes to switch on after you fire it. The recoil shoves the safty to the "on" position because it's so loose.

It is not of nearly the same quality as guns that sell under the benelli name.

Also, while I was at a skeet shooting tournament, a guy had a stoeger condor that wouldn't work and someone told me about it because I had one so i went over to offer some advice about the saftey but it turned out to be something else. To my knowledge, the guy took it back to the store he bought it from.

Hope this helps, oh, and I've heard good things about EAA O/U's and I believe that they go for about the same price.

oletymer
February 27, 2006, 09:12 PM
Not made by Benelli. Made in Turkey. They might be ok.

BigV
February 28, 2006, 07:28 AM
1. The finish is not real great, for some reason it REALLY liked to rust. I remember taking it out of the case to shoot it one day and it looked like a cheeto, so I put it in a hard case and it looked the same way the next time I took it out (both times were after about a week and a half of sitting with all of my other guns which were in the same kind of case and yet only the stoeger rusted)

Not to hijack the thread, but…
I would not recommend storing gun in soft or hard cases. If you have no other choice, get some silicone impregnated gun socks and put them on the guns before putting them in cases. That will minimize any rusting. JMHO.

Jart
February 28, 2006, 08:07 AM
Stoeger licenses the Benelli recoil system for use in their semi-auto.

Don't know much about the O/U, but the Condor Competition would appear viable if one was uncertain about taking up the obsess... unh, hobby.

There's a pretty active thread at Stoeger forum on making the safety manual.

firestorm9mm
February 28, 2006, 03:40 PM
If your going to get one get the competition condor. Its a good gun for the price you can always buy high end later on once you are hooked. Btw and gun will look like a cheeto if you leave it stored in a case.

deanadell
March 1, 2006, 11:05 AM
Soni
I've been shooting mine for 5 years now without a problem, whether it's a Quail hunt, Phesant shoot, or a 100 round Sporting Clay course. Patterns well to point of aim, functions flawlessly, and got it on sale new at Dick's Sporting Goods for $299.00....can't beat that with a stick.

Bobshouse
March 1, 2006, 11:42 AM
From what I'm hearing, its a decent gun for the price. I'm looking to buy one in 16 gauge, if I can find one...

Bob

rugerdude
March 1, 2006, 06:02 PM
To clarify on the gun rusting: I had all 7 of my other firearms in the exact same place. Some were in soft cases, two were in hard cases and one was uncased. The stoeger is the ONLY one that rusted, and it rusted bad, multiple times, after I tried putting even more oil on it, and putting it in a hard case.

Also, I like my guns to work correctly.

From my experience, you can do better, however I realize that ANY gun company can make a lemon.

Skeetin'870
March 12, 2006, 10:49 PM
AhAhhh Quadruple Post Darn You Aol delete this if you can

Skeetin'870
Ahhh Quadruple Post Darn You Aol delete this if you can

Skeetin'870
Ahhh Quadruple Post Darn You Aol delete this if you can

Skeetin'870
March 12, 2006, 10:50 PM
Also the condor IS NOT made in Turkey it is made in Brazil. I can also attest to its rustiness It was not stored for more than 7 days and keeping a gun in the case is not that bad if you prepare it properly. My 3200 does not leave its case. Granted I oil and then wrap silicone cloths around the actual metal but I know of many top shooters who store their K-80's in the hard case it came in. Granted LONG term storage in a case is bad but in the short term it is fine. Again though if properly prepared and checked on every 4-6 weeks they WILL be fine.

Just my $.02

PATH
March 16, 2006, 09:47 AM
I just picked one up at the Friends of the NRA Dinner and this thread has beeen quite illuminating. My little O/U will be recieving a little more attention in order to prevent rusting!

rll1931
March 21, 2006, 08:52 AM
I have a used 12 ga in very good shape that i bought used from a lady back at my old store. The only problem is that it double fires. Both the barrels go off when firing it. I wanted to sell it to a person who can fix this. Is it a problem to be fixed. Please let me know,Jack

147 Grain
March 22, 2006, 10:00 PM
Just bought a new Stoeger Conder 12 / 20 Combo Deluxe Supreme with higher quality wood and fit / finish than most.

This Brazillian made gun / combo thru Sportsman Warehouse is an outstanding bargain for $499.