PDA

View Full Version : British Guns

Death from Afar
February 26, 2006, 03:01 PM
I have noticed a lot of you are heavily into her Majestys Forces firearms...Enfiled threads...Boyes threads..etc. Why is that?

Polydorus
February 26, 2006, 03:20 PM
They may seem ordinary to you but to those of us living in the USA they are exotic.

Ruger4570
February 26, 2006, 05:58 PM
If you are a gun nut, you are a gun nut. I don't think we have any predudices, A good gun is a good gun regardless of where it comes from. I still have 2 Enfields, one is the "Jungle Carbine" that still kicks the snot outa me when I fire it. It raps my cheek as though it doesn't like me at all. I have to say the Enfields are still the slickest, smoothest bolt action I have ever fired. An hell, if it is good enough for Crocadile Dundee, it is surely good enough for me. :D

CTC01
February 26, 2006, 06:23 PM
When I started collecting ol WWII rifles several years ago the first one I picked up was a No.4 MK1* Longbranch, I was hooked !!!

I guess what draws me to them is, their very well built, destinctive look and on top of all that their affordable (except the REAL "T" rifles).

I have 3 very nice Enfields now and hope to add a P14 somtime soon. :)

Sir William
February 26, 2006, 06:28 PM
Exotic? International flavour maybe. There are multiple variants and I would gladly pay the BATFE $200.00 if I could have a snub special purpose SMLE. There are accurate SMLEs in 303 and 308. The inaccurate ones can be comverted to 45 ACP. There are ammunition choices, sight options, optics and many other choices including stocks to pick from. There are some good condition SMLEs on the market for under $200.00, try finding a Garand for an equal price.

FirstFreedom
February 26, 2006, 07:01 PM
Smellys - cuz they're good! (smooth, fast, reliable, 10-rd detachable mag, etc.) Dunno what a Boyes is though.

Limeyfellow
February 26, 2006, 08:29 PM
They are Lee Enfields.. What more do you need to know.

Death from Afar
February 26, 2006, 10:03 PM
They may seem ordinary to you but to those of us living in the USA they are exotic.

Thats a good point!

Boyes- are a .55 caliber anti tank rifle. A mate of mine- my gunsmith actually is building up some ammo for his and then we are taking it out for a blast.

DAWGTRAXX
February 26, 2006, 11:15 PM
very smooth action,reasonably priced ammo, a WW2 rifle for 100.00..what a combination

BlueTrain
February 27, 2006, 07:24 AM
My first three rifles were Lee-Enfields and one was a .22 made in 1914. I've never had a long Lee-Enfield or Lee-Medford or one of the true pre-SMLE carbines. In fact, I've never seen one of any of those. But I can't believe I don't own one at all now. I don't even own a .22!

However, I am considering correcting that shortcoming. I've been thinking about a certain No. 4 that a dealer has supposedly had for over a year. It has an adjustable rear sight that doesn't work and that may be one reason it hasn't sold. There are two stamps on (in, actually) the right side of the stock with dates in the 1950's, which I suspect means it may have been arsenal refurbished. Oddly enough, it is otherwise bare of markings and there is a place on the left side of the receiver at the forward end that appears to have had some metal removed before being refinished. I've been thinking that's where it said "U.S.Property." If so, that would make it a Stevens, I think, but I didn't see any other maker's markings.

I also saw an Ishapore Lee-Enfield (No, not British) that was chiefly interesting because it was manufactured in 1965, the year I entered the army.

I also believe that Lee-Enfields came with different length buttstocks.