PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing a Scope

Flavio
February 23, 2006, 11:40 PM
Any tips ??? Thanks.

carebear
February 24, 2006, 01:11 AM
Make sure you start with a mechanical zero.

Crank the elevation adjustment knob all the way to the bottom then count the click adjustments to all the way to the top, go back down half (or 2/3) that number. You typically don't need to adjust <down> as much with a 2-300 yd zero.

Do the same with the windage adjustment but adjust that back dead-on in the middle.

That should give you, prior to mounting, the most amount of adjustment in any direction. If the reticle starts off uncentered and is mounted hinky you may end up without room to adjust it. A good MZ should be achieved before zeroing any kind of sight, iron or optic.

buckster
March 2, 2006, 11:51 AM
Most scopes come almost zeroed. Get a shop to bore sight it and go from there. A experienced shooter or range person can help also.

Eghad
March 2, 2006, 12:49 PM
most shops dont charge much to bore sight. That will get you on the paper. Read your owners manual about what distance each click moves the crosshairs. You can usually find some targets with a grid on them. Then follow the arrows on the adjutment screws and move it the amount of clicks for the distance you need to move the crosshairs.

Twycross
March 2, 2006, 03:07 PM
You can usually find some targets with a grid on them. Then follow the arrows on the adjutment screws and move it the amount of clicks for the distance you need to move the crosshairs.
+1. Also, you might be able to find a shop to do the bore sight job for free.

However, the free boresight I got was barely on paper at 50 yards...

Flavio
March 2, 2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I did it wasnt that hard, but now I also learned that every type of ammo works differently. I zeroed the sope with remingtons 22 lr, and I was recommended by a fellow shooter to use Federals, and I noticed that I have to Zero the scope again :D