PDA

View Full Version : pancake belt holster or inside the pants for concealed carry

Springfield XD40 Man
February 22, 2006, 11:57 PM
Hey guy's, I've got a Taurus Mil-Pro 40 that will be my carry gun when I get my CCW. My question is this, is the inside the pants holster or the pancake belt holster best for concealment? I've always wondered how the inside the pants holster could be comfortable, the leather or cordura chafing your leg all day. I lean towards the pancake belt holster. Thoughts?

ClarkEMyers
February 23, 2006, 01:44 AM
The inside the waist band offers better concealment as a general rule. Cover garments can be adjusted and almost anything can be made to work.

Chafing just might vary depending on such things as activity and position. I use an Alessi behind the point of the hip IWB - GWH - in about the same position I wear a field holster. Everything from UnderArmor to shirt garters might be useful to make the holster more comfortable but of course the holster should first be comforting then comfortable as the saying goes.

Each has been known to work and work well for somebody. More to the point neither one will work without an equally good belt so be sure to get a belt that mostly costs as much or more than the holster. Myself I have both black and cordovan color (not horsehide just the color) because I learned to rest leather some. Lots of folks pick a color and coordinate their wardrobe and find quality lasts worn pretty much every day.

If you have a preference then by all means follow that preference.

JerryM
February 23, 2006, 10:54 AM
Agree with Clark.

However, I almost always carry OWB as I normally wear a shirttail outside of pants. With a good pancake I have no problem concealing the gun. It does require the wear of a shirt long enough to cover the bottom of the holster, and a little more care in movements to reach up or bend over.

If the cover garment is to be short, then IWB is the way to go. Get a good comfortable holster that has a skirt such as Sparks EXC or Brommeland's Max Con III or V. The extra leather permits the holster to conform to your body instead of presenting an abrupt change at the muzzle which tends to dig in.

Everyone will not agree and the Summer Special is popular, but an IWB with skirt is more comfortable for me.

Jerry

dairycreek
February 23, 2006, 01:17 PM
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/43a.jpg

Choose a holster that lets you do both. OWB and IWB, whatever you choose. I use this holster on a number of my guns and it works just fine. It is made by FIST and is their #43 holster. Great product:D

FirstFreedom
February 28, 2006, 11:28 PM
IWB is not good IMO. Uncomfortable, and need to buy bigger pants & belts. And, you need a covering garment for an IWB anyway, so why not go with a more comfortable OWB, and keep same wardrobe?

So, I'd go with OWB for primary carry (with covering garment). Either a BS (like the pancake you mention), or a paddle/clip hoster. Wear it on your 'strong side.'

The only IWBs that make sense to me are the 'tuckable' ones for deep concealment. Then you can run without a covering garment. Or something like that FIST mentioned above when you can go either way with it.

#18indycolts
March 1, 2006, 08:15 AM
IWB works great for me.