PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

musicman
February 22, 2006, 07:22 PM
I'm going step up a little and wonder if you folks could give some advice. I would like to buy a new or used gun in 9mm but I would like to look at price, reliability, and find something made in America and owned by Americans.(hope this doesn't cause a stink) This will be for range shooting mostly and night table use also. Any suggestions. Thanks John

WillBrayjr
February 22, 2006, 07:28 PM
Ruger produces several 9mms that are reasonably price and extremely dependable. Ruger doesn't have a written warranty that I know of, but I haven't been to Ruger's website in a long time. I do know they'll be more than happy to fix the gun if it breaks;)

bc5301
February 22, 2006, 07:29 PM
Im looking for same thing i got my eyes on a Glock 17

mgdavis
February 22, 2006, 08:09 PM
Possibly Kahr or Kel-Tec. Any of a number of 1911's. I'm in the middle of a brain fart and not coming up with anything else at the moment.

Mosin44az
February 23, 2006, 12:02 AM
I can personally recommend Ruger or Glock, with Ruger being significantly less expensive. Ruger P95, which now has a rail for a tactical light, should be under $350 new, the Glock 19, also with a rail, is about $460 new in Phoenix, both prices before tax. Ruger is made in Prescott, AZ I believe, but is definitely made in America. Glock is Austrian-made.

The only used 9mms I would buy currently are Rugers and Glocks, because I know how to break them down and judge their condition, and because I know they are very durable and reliable generally.

The Ruger has a long double-action trigger for the initial pull, its only flaw for me was that the reach to the trigger was a little long for my trigger finger. Make sure it fits you. Glocks should fit.

In the lower-priced category, CZs (Czech-made) have a fine reputation around here, you should also be able to get the standard CZ75 for under $350 new.

I personally would avoid Kel-Tec, for quality and reliability problems (do a search if you don't believe me) and also it is too small, with too hard a trigger, to be ideal as a range or house gun.

Kahrs are U.S. made, but are much more expensive than Ruger, and probably more expensive than Glock, without being quite as good as either in terms of reliability and durability, both in my experience and by reputation.

Smith & Wesson Sigma 9VE is supposedly improved over the earlier Sigmas, again, do a search if you'd like. The price is cheap, around $300 new, it's U.S.-made, and has a lifetime warranty I am told, and I just was told that Smith pays the shipping both ways on service, a nice perk. People complain about the trigger, personally I don't find it a big problem.

Geopagus
February 23, 2006, 12:52 AM
Unfortunately, if your looking for a great and reliable 9mm, most are foreign made. However, there have been many good and promising reviews on Smith & Wesson's new M&P (not so good reviews on their older Sigma line), so you might look into them. Price is in the moderate range NIB. But, what other criteria do you have? Polymer, Metal? Decocker? Safety? etc.

pointman131
February 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
I swear, for the money, I have never found a deal as good as my Sigma SW9EV. Polymer, stainless steel, for $225 out the door!!! And in all honesty, it is a shooter...

musicman
February 23, 2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks all, seems like I'll look at the ruger and maybe the smith 9ve and if one fits it'll be mine. since I'm on the large size and so are my hands I shouldn't have much problem with most guns. thanks again