PDA

View Full Version : Single Stage and 2 Stage Triggers

Texas Pete
February 22, 2006, 03:17 PM
What is the difference between single stage and two stage triggers, and what advantages and or dissadvantages of the two. I'm asking because I was thinking of replacing the single stage trigger with a two stage trigger i my AR-15. The problem is that I am worried that I will not see much of a difference in the two triggers. Any advice?

Thanks

ClarkEMyers
February 22, 2006, 03:48 PM
Try one first.

Notice that a more complete - but nowhere near complete - discussion of triggers might be single stage versus two stage for rough use and single stage versus two stage for pure target guns.

The original '98 Mauser is mostly found with a military two stage trigger and most Americans prefer a single stage - ideally the so called crisp break - trigger on a hunting rifle.

For target use the European standard, and for Americans the preferred trigger at least on mouse guns (but not on say bench rest despite the extremely light triggers used) has been a two stage trigger which has a noticeable takeup before final squeeze off. This makes for a trigger that feels lighter but is still secure and long wearing.

What are you doing with your own rifle that leads you to want a different trigger? If shooting matches I'd expect most if not all other competitors on the line to be more than willing to talk triggers - if not shooting matches why bother? In any event it likely won't be much of a loss to try a brand name trigger e.g. Jewell or what have you and if you don't like it getting most but not all of your money by reselling it promptly.