PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Point 9mm Compact or Compensated?

ChefGW
February 21, 2006, 07:23 PM
I'm thinking aboutbuying a Hi-Point 9mm. I am just undecided on which one to get. Can you remove the compensator from the front of that model? Or later place one on the Compact? Anyone have any experience in this?

Mark54g
February 21, 2006, 10:50 PM
why a hipoint? Just curious (btw, the comp is not standard, if I recall correctly) Why not something like a ruger or a trade in?

newuspowner
February 21, 2006, 10:56 PM
what kind of price for the hi-point?? and what other handguns have you looked at?? is it for plinking or home defense??

1inthechamber
February 21, 2006, 10:58 PM
If you want a Hi-Point, don't let anyone persuade you into buying something else you don't want and something they like. It's totally up to you.

For the price, a Hi-Point is a good choice if you can't afford anything else more pricier. I have the C9 compact without the comp. They cost a little more with the comp. and I'm not sure they do much of anything. Any Hi-Point you buy you'll enjoy a lifetime warranty and lots of fun at the range.

GLOCK21
February 21, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Point is junk. Save your money. They have low capacity, heavy, not accurate, hard to field strip, will only last 1000 rounds if that. For a little more money you can get a better gun. Look for something used. How much do you know about guns? If you are new to shooting you should take an experianced friend(not one with a Hi Point) to help you out.

When you buy guns you get what you pay for. A good gun lasts a lifetime of many people. Get a Glock, XD, Ruger. These are good mid price guns. You can get a Kel tec for a little less(I use the P40 for a back up). I would say a Ruger is your best bet they are about $300 to start. I have had my P89 for 6 years. They have the same warranty that Hi Point does too.

GLOCK21
February 21, 2006, 11:22 PM
Oh yea I forgot I had a Hi Point carbine KB on me with factory ammo. Reciever was in pices, and the firing pin hit me in the head.

warwagon
February 22, 2006, 01:04 AM
I advise you to do a search here on the HI-Point. you will find a lot of opinnions, but I would listen to those that have had them.
Some don't like them because they think that anything in that price range is bad goods.
Some of that is warranted, some not, people tend to judge on experience,if you had a bad experience with a Jennings, then all such must be bad, etc.
Take your decission from your own observations,and live with the results.
I have never owned a Hi-Point, but I hear from others that have that they were satisfied with the product.

I hope this helps to solve your delemma,

Blair

CajunBass
February 22, 2006, 06:34 AM
I've got a Hi-Point,C-9 "compact". I don't think the compensator is worth the extra money. It makes the gun larger, and noiser. Yes, it can be removed, but you still have an extra inch or so of barrel sticking out. You could probably have one put on later, but it would probably be cheaper to just buy another one.

Mine has been reliable since I got it. Two jams in over 1000 rounds. It hasn't blow up, fallen apart, reprogramed my VCR, or deleted anything from my computer. It just shoots when I pull the trigger, and doesn't when I don't. It punches holes in the paper pretty close to where I expect them to show up.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/battlefield066.jpg
That's pretty close to where I expected them to show up, as long as I did my part. 40? 50 rounds of American Eagle, 115 gr FMJ, at 7 yards. Ok, it's not match grade, but I don't think it's too bad for a $140.00 gun. You might be able to find something used for close to that price, but I've never seen it. Anyway I at least didn't want something else. I wanted a Hi-Point.

For more information about Hi-Points go to
http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/

OuTcAsT
February 22, 2006, 07:22 AM
You will definately find a variety of "opinions" here about the Hi-Point, most of the negatives are "ahem" questionable. IE: "hard to field strip", not true. You simply have to push a small pin out pull the slide back about 1/4" and remove. you can reduce it to component level in a matter of seconds.

IE:"will only last for 1000 rounds if that" ...... PLEASE ! I own the .40SW, I purchased it just to see what kind of weapon I could get for $150.00 NIB, have fired much more than 1000 rounds thru it, and It is still firing fine. You might find a good buy on something used, or spend a bit more for "better" pedigree, but if you buy the Hi-Point I don't think you will be disappointed.

Now be prepared for the exploding Zamak diatribe...BOHICA:eek:

ChefGW
February 22, 2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah, it's not a question of buying a hi-point or something else. I'm going to buy a hi-point. I just wanted to know the difference between the two models. I have been shooting for over 20 uears and have plenty of experience with guns, albeit more with longarms than pistols. Thanks for the info everyone.

jsflagstad
February 22, 2006, 09:48 AM
Chef,

Things are looking up man, there looks to be only ONE unsolicited negative comment here on the Hi-Point. I'm sure the likes of the other usual nay-sayer will be along soon though.

Since your post was CLEARLY asking for opinions between the Hi-Point compact 9mm and the Hi-Point Compensated 9mm I will give you my opinion on the Hi-Point compensated 9mm, because I actually own one.

My Hi-Point compensated 9mm has been nothing short of great. Mine shoots with accuracy that is on par to what Cajunbass has posted with his. I now have over 3500 rounds through mine with nary a hiccup. Mine goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and I completely trust it. I do not wear a helmet, body armor and welding gloves when I shoot it.

I have shot mine with and without the compensator, and it does take a little bit of the rise out of the muzzle. Without the compensator installed, there is a 1/2 inch barrel stub that sticks out.

Mine eats all ammo I give it, from low velocity cast loads to +P+ loads making 450 ft/lbs of energy. As with any gun, it likes some loads better than others.

As far as Hi-Points flying apart, I have never seen it happen. I would think that the cause spoke about here may be able to be tracked to someone disassembling and reassembling the weapon who was not qualified to do so.

They are great weapons at a bargain price. Go get one and try it out, you'll love it.

JSF:D

WillBrayjr
February 22, 2006, 10:00 AM
I have read plenty of good thing about reliability but I'm still wondering how long they last. Any gun can be shot to death, there is no exception not even the AK-47.

Jart
February 22, 2006, 01:07 PM
The compensator doesn't seem to harm the thing in any way, but neither can I think of a reason why it should be there: I'd go with the plain. It is, after all, a 9mm.

If it was a 500 S&W, I'd reconsider.

Te Anau
February 22, 2006, 01:12 PM
Hi Point is junk. Save your money.
Wrong-wrong,super duper wrong!

I chose the compensated model for its super cool "race gun" looks.
Oh yea I forgot I had a Hi Point carbine KB on me with factory ammo. Reciever was in pices, and the firing pin hit me in the head.
Im sure at least one person took a pic with a digital camera.Please post.

1inthechamber
February 22, 2006, 02:17 PM
I think atleast 1 picture of the questioned Hi-Point is fair. Since a kB! is a rare occurance in any handgun, they should atleast be documented visually.

I find it hard to believe the firing pin went flying out of the gun and hit someone in the head.

Firing pin assembly.
http://home.columbus.rr.com/dzimmerm/pics/firing_pin_assy.jpg

That firing pin (in the handguns) are inside a channel, even if you took the slide off and rotate it around, it will not fall out unless you take the retainer out and tilt the slide back to slide it out. I just don't see the firing pin flying out. I'm not sure on the carbines, but atleast on handguns, I just don't see it happening.

CajunBass
February 22, 2006, 02:51 PM
You know. I would think if a gun blew up on me, it would be the first thing I would put down about it. :eek: Not some afterthought I just suddenly remembered.

musicman
February 22, 2006, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone. I also have a c9 hi-point and like it a lot. The only problem I've had is the release for the mag being close to my thumb and sometimes I hit it and then the mag will drop down and I get a shell that doesn't feed. other than that it's done great. Now that I've decided that I enjoy the shooting so much maybe I'll step up in price somewhat.

adamxii
February 22, 2006, 07:20 PM
I dunno, I like mine just fine. I didn't particulary care for the comp model, but beauty (or ugly) is in the eye of the beholder :rolleyes:
BTW anybody try Federal Hydrashoks yet & how did they feed?

jsflagstad
February 22, 2006, 09:01 PM
My Comp 9 has never failed to feed any type of ammo. Right down to 163 grain .358" LSWC's. I am going to see if it will digest hollow based wadcutters as well. I think it just might. We'll see.

JSF

vintagerifle
February 23, 2006, 01:02 AM
I purchased a used, unfired hi-point 9mm C9 from a local dealer. This C9 was originally purchased in 2003 and was unfired. I was looking for something inexpensive that would shoot 9mm. I wanted something that I could practice with and see if I would be interested semi-auto pistols. My background with pistols is a 44 cal black powder Remington New Army Revolver and a 1895 Nagant revolver.

I read that these are cheap guns and they will not work. I have shot 150 rounds to date. I will have to look up the date of purchase, but its been less than two months. Because of weather and daylight hours, I have not had more time with it.

At the time of purchase I picked up a extra magazine.

I spent some time watching Lord of War and loaded and unloaded the magazines to break them in without firing. Not sure if this was needed, but I did get to shoot the next day. The original magazine fed all rounds fine and all 8 rounds fired. Problem: last round hold open didn't work. Took the second mag and fired off 8 rounds, last round hold open worked. Fired a box of 50 and came home. No malfunctions except the first mag didn't want to engage the last round hold open feature.

There is one bid difference between the two magazines. The original has an angled follower and the new mag has a stepped follower. This appears the be a flaw that was corrected in the new second magazine. I tried to adjust the original magazine, but it would only hold open if I forced it back by hand and not while shooting. The second magazine worked fine without any malfunctions. I have since purchased a 3rd magazine and it works flawless. The factory original has now been tossed into the trash after removing the spring for a spare part. The two new magazines function perfect and last round hold open works on each. The firearm is reliable, but long term durabiltiy has not been tested. It has a very good warranty, I plan on taking advange of it when the time comes. I will probably never sell it, although I might trade it in. I do know what I could get for it as a trade. As of 2/22/2006 $80.00. The shop I bought it off of would sell it for $100 and he would give me 80% of the price I paid for it and make $20 on it. Not bad, but not worth it as I can keep shooting it.

Overall its not a bad pistol. I like the weight, I collect and shoot military surplus weapons and bulky is ok with me. Looks really don't matter for something that just punches holes in paper. Not going to use it for a CCW, but it will at least give me something to practice with until I find something better. Its also ready to give an intruder something to think about if needed. Yes it can fail, but so can anything. If the time ever comes and no matter what I have, I hope the sight of it sends them back out the door. But if its needed, the trigger will be pulled.

A friend bought a new Ruger 22 semi-auto that jammed every 2 rounds. Called in and they said it was his ammo. Tried different brands and still jammed. They then said it needed a break-in period. Well, its past that and it still jams. Was suppose to be a reliable firearm. He still keeps that by his bed just in case. He told me the mag problems were fixed, but it still jammed on my the last time I shot it.

Its fun to shoot, accurate as I can shoot it anyway. I am very new to pistols and can shoot a rifle much better. I can hit black everytime at 25 feet. I know I can do better but I only get about 20 minutes to time to shoot. I have to do so after work at its only staying light until 6:30. By the time I get to the range is after 6. Plus its been cold.

I hope to get more time in when there is more light and the temps are better.

I did take it apart, its made very inexpensive as possible. Not bad for the $100 a paid for it knowing what I was buying to begin with.

FLA2760
February 23, 2006, 01:53 PM
Check out the HP Forums. :cool:
http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/index.php?sid=625d6e1d2b33a934127c91156fc950d5