PDA

View Full Version : S&W Extractor Rod

kv4v
August 7, 2000, 07:02 PM
The extractor rod on my N frame S&W has become loose. I can tighten it with my fingers but it comes loose after a couple of rounds. How can I tighten it enough so it will not loosen up after a few rounds. I am afraid to use a pair of pliers because I don't want to take a chance on creating any more problems. Thanks. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West

Jim V
August 7, 2000, 08:38 PM
Remove the cylinder from the revolver, place some leather in the jaws of a bench vice, place two cartridge cses in any of the charging holes of the cylinder (to help hold the "star" in place, grasp the end of the extractor/ejector rod between the leather jaws of the vise, tighten the vise and carefully tighten the rod in place. Remove everything from the vise, and replace the cylinder in the revolver. It should help the problem. Just don't give the cylinder a big honking twist when it is in the vise.

NWEI YMMV VWP LS/MFT

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Jon K
August 7, 2000, 09:28 PM
In addition to the above, put a drop of blue, medium Lock Tite on the threads. This will solve your problem. What ever you do don't use red high strenth Lock Tite- John K

------------------
NRA MEMBER? GREAT, NOW JOIN GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA

Calif Hunter
August 9, 2000, 11:54 AM
I simply used the loctite without using the vise on my Model 29 a few hundred rounds ago and it hasn't shot loose since. It used to drive me crazy!