PDA

View Full Version : Remington's New Additions

Fal 4 Me
February 17, 2006, 11:27 PM
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_798.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_five_specs.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_799_specs.asp
Has anyone heard anything about Remington's new rifle offerings? Are they only importing actions from Zastava and not whole rifles? They look nice, but I was hoping for a little something different.

onemsumba
February 18, 2006, 12:35 AM
It was really surprising to see the 798 on the website.

At first I was really excited and was ready to run out and buy one. But it seems my excitement was misplaced. it seems Remington was able to convenience Zastava of Serbiaut to discontinue their affiliation with Charles Daly’s and make Remington its American distributor….

Seems to me “America’s oldest Gunmaker” is becoming less and less of an actual Gunmaker… and more of just an importer…. I didn’t mind it from Charles Daly, from them it was a nice product and a good way to get a Mauser Action rifle or just a nice new Mauser Action to build a rifle on.

But as an offer from Remington it is just a crying shame. They will never sell just the action or a barreled action product liability would be too great to risk the company on. So they have actually done us all a disservice, plus adding the Remington name adds an additional 10% cost….

Well off to go find one of the last Model 70’s available……

BredanSIG
February 18, 2006, 08:14 AM
This kinda ticks me off. I too was really looking forward to the Zastava produced rifles (esp. a bolt action in 7.62x39 with iron sights). But these were "Americanized" just as I expected. By that I mean, no iron sights, some decent wood stock and over priced. You guys can flame me via PMs if you wish.

Everyone I know and their cousins have either a Rem. 700/710 or a Savage, so I was hoping to go with something more exotic. I am not knocking either Remmington or Savage, don't get me wrong, both brands work and work well.

I just picked up a CZ 527 Carbine, and this rifle appeals to me in many ways, but that is another topic(I don't want to hijack this thread). With the annoucement from Remington on these rifles, I will certainly pass.

Clayfish
February 18, 2006, 11:03 AM
I wish they would offer more caliber choices in the 798. I would love to see one of those in 8x57. Oh, and it would be great if it had iron sights too.

TPAW
February 18, 2006, 12:25 PM
With the annoucement from Remington on these rifles, I will certainly pass.

Ditto on that!

Fal 4 Me
February 18, 2006, 05:50 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one dissapointed with these.

Bredan, don't worry about mentioning CZ in one of my threads, I've recently fallen in love with their line of rifles also.

FirstFreedom
February 18, 2006, 06:33 PM
So all 3 of those come from Zastava?

Fal 4 Me
February 18, 2006, 06:39 PM
So all 3 of those come from Zastava?

That's what I was trying to figure out. The stocks are made in America, according to the website. To me it kind of looks like they are importing actions, or barrelled actions and adding on certain parts. Again, this is just what it looks like to me.

BusGunner007
February 18, 2006, 06:55 PM
This might be one of the kinds of rifles you'll wish someday you'd've bought 'back then'.
I'm thinking of getting one. .458...LOTT?:eek:

I'd like to know what 'aftermarket' stock options are available for this gun.
I'd like one in BLACK, please...:D

hpg
February 18, 2006, 09:33 PM
That's why I use Ruger's. AMERICAN made. hpg

onemsumba
February 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
When Charels Daly was importing them you could get them in a much bigger variety of cals. Plus stainless, blue, or high gloss blue. And you could get an action, barreled action or full rifle. Perhpase remington will expand to carry the full line of cals as well. Who knows.

would have really liked to have seen reminingtion go out and develop their own mauser style actions with some feature imporvments, detachable mag box for instance....

I think my next one will be a Browning A-Bolt... Seems like you get a whole lot of the money right out of the box.

BusGunner007
February 19, 2006, 12:37 AM
Is this Zastava action what was once called the Interarms Mark X?

Scorch
February 21, 2006, 05:59 PM
Yes, same as the old Interarms MarkX. Seems like Remington did manage to do one thing right. They got rid of the ridiculous stocks Charles Daly was putting the rifles. Looked like a parody of a 70's Weatherby. Huge rollover cheekpieces, big grip caps, glossy finish . . .
Doesn't surprise me, though. I had been trying to buy a stainless 98 action from Charles Daly for 2 years, but they couldn't deliver the goods. Perhaps Charles Daly was having trouble getting the rifles and parts because they weren't moving enough volume?
I did notice that Remington isn't going to compete with its other rifles, either. Only standard calibers, and not very many at that!

publius
February 21, 2006, 08:26 PM
I like 'em. I couldn't open the window on Rem's site to see calibers. Does anyone know if it will be offered in 6.5x55. If so I shall have one.

Scorch
February 21, 2006, 08:39 PM
Sorry, publius. No 6.5X55. Only "standard" calibers: 243, 308, 30-06, 270, 375, 458. Nothing exotic or interesting.

onemsumba
February 21, 2006, 08:55 PM
243Win. 22" Brown Laminated 42 1/4"
.308 Win. 22" Brown Laminated 42 1/4"
.30-06 Sprg. 22" Brown Laminated 42 1/4"
.270 Win. 22" Brown Laminated 42 1/4"
7mm Rem. Mag. 24" Brown Laminated 44 1/4"
.300 Win. Mag. 24" Brown Laminated 44 1/4"
.375 H&H Mag. 26" Brown Laminated 46 1/4"
.458 Win. Mag.

the 799 is also in
.22 Hornet
.222 Rem
.22-250
7.62x39

DobermansDoItGoofy
February 22, 2006, 12:13 AM
I bought a Daly/Zastava 375H&H SS barreled action and customized it...

I wanted a simple, solid no frills DGame rifle - something that's accurate but dedicated to hunting instead of target shooting.

I didn't see any 375's or 458's in Remington's new line. I hope they didn't nix them from the lineup. So far I'm a bit disappointed, but not surprised.

If I can't buy a ready-to-use rifle out of the box...I prefer to just buy the action and customize it/build it via the gunsmith. I like my Tikka T3's because they're simple and ready to go - right out of the box!

Remingtons are good, but I was hoping this new line-up would be spiced up rather than toned down... :barf:

Gewehr98
February 22, 2006, 01:11 PM
If Remington's the importer of the 98 Mauser barreled actions, then we'll at least have a reliable supply and customer service chain.

Besides, one can always find a tube-receiver 700 Remington, they have no soul to me. How often can one get a brand new, classic 98 Mauser without spending an arm and leg? ;)

Buck2
February 22, 2006, 04:35 PM
What country are the receivers make in?

Fal 4 Me
February 22, 2006, 04:52 PM
Buck2,

They are made in Serbia and Montenegro, the former Yugoslavia. It's the same company that made the Yugo SKS's and Mauser m48. Here is their web address, http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/civilni.htm It's an interesting website. Too bad no one imports the M76, I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.

Gewehr98,
Have you not heard of a company called CZ?:p

Does anyone know if the M70's listed on Century Arms website are the Zastava M70's, or are they some other company's M70?

Fal 4 Me
February 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
Nevermind, just answered my own question. The M70 listed on Century is made in Romania.

Gewehr98
February 22, 2006, 11:14 PM
Gewehr98,
Have you not heard of a company called CZ?

A small company just to the north of me in Cocoa, called European American Armory, used to import CZ guns like the Brno Basic M98, the CZ-75 pistol, plus some of the Russian Izhmash flavors, like my Biathlon Basic.

Business decisions gave the entire EAA long gun business to Remington, which focused on the Izhmash shotgun line, now called "Spartan", leaving the Brno Basic 98 and Saiga rifles out in the cold, until the new M798 by Remington. EAA, in much reduced form, still sells the CZ-75 pistol under the name of "Witness".

That leaves CZ-USA, but to me, they have nowhere near the market presence or embedded infrastructure in the good 'ol USA that Remington enjoys.

And I have a spare '98 threaded 6.5-06 sporter barrel ready to thread into one of those Remington 798 rifles, I'd best get busy! :D

FirstFreedom
February 22, 2006, 11:39 PM
Say what? Witness pistols are Ceska Zbroyovska 75s? I'm pretty sure they are Tanfoglios from Italy, not CZ 75s.

Gewehr98
February 24, 2006, 07:49 AM
They're CZ-75/85 pistols made by Tanfoglio. ;)

Marlboro Man
February 24, 2006, 09:31 AM
I liked that model 5. I wonder when there gonna hit the shelves?

Correia
February 24, 2006, 11:27 AM
Gewehr98, Saigas got a new importer. Russian American Armory. I'm one of their distributors. www.fbmginc.com