PDA

View Full Version : novice question about semi-auto handgun

cmcwhorter42
February 14, 2006, 01:26 PM
I am brand new to shooting and purchased a Sig P226 9mm handgun. I have used it several times with no problems at the range. Last night while shooting the action didn't stay open when all the rounds were finished. I have only used fiocci ammo before last night, but thought I would try magtech clean range and blazer. The gun was completely clean before shooting, so I am unsure what the cause would be. I was sure to be firm with my grip, but it still happened. Not sure what to think at this point. Any help would be appreciated. It started while using the magtech ammo, but they are all 115 grain FMJ ammo. Is my handgun that tempermental?

Mark54g
February 14, 2006, 02:01 PM
Check the mags. Were they seated fully and properly? I would also check the guide rod and recoil spring and consider changing out the recoil spring. Fiocchi tends to be on the warm side. Your gun might need the extra oomph of that if the springs are worn.

stangfan93
February 14, 2006, 02:04 PM
once i used a 9mm sig at the range and several times it the action didnt stay open for me either. i was using range reloads and sellier and bellot ammo. it also happened to me when i first bought my norinco 1911. again using range ammo for the first time since when you buy a gun at my range the range fee is waived. but the problem for that was the magazine. it was a colt magazine. the guy behind the counter let me borrow his mc cormick mag and it stayed open after that

Christian 812
February 14, 2006, 02:39 PM
CMC,
Welcome and congrats for buying one off the best 9 mm around (I do own a P226 and it's still my favourite).
Now, did you bought it NIB or second hand ?
If it's brand new with Sig mags ... either with Fiocchi or Sellier&Bellot (which is the ammo I currently use at the range), you should not have this kind of troubles). Cleaning is not an issue ... since I'm a bit lazy, I sometimes clean mine every 500 rounds.
Your troubles seems to be definitaly related to mags ... specially if it happen with the last round.
If your P226 is a second hand, you can check the manufacture year (perform a search on this site) with the 2 letters at the front bottom part of the frame.

exar
February 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
I own a 228. I agree with the others, sounds like the mag. Nice choice of pistol, i also used to own a 229. All great guns.

cmcwhorter42
February 14, 2006, 06:07 PM
My 226 is brand new with 2 factory mags. I will make sure the mags are properly seated. The problem never happened with fiocci ammo, only the magtech clean range. I have only put a total of maybe 700 rounds through this gun in total. I really appreciate the help. Thanks again. By the way, no one told me how addictive this would be. I have a brand new HK USP 45 on the way now, only a month after buying my 226.

stephen426
February 14, 2006, 06:12 PM
I'm willing to bet that it is not your mags. Check your grip on the gun. I am almost sure that you are holding down the slide release and preventing the slide from locking back. Keep your thumb off the slide release and that should take care of the problem. Congrats on getting a great gun by the way. I had a P228 and I have a P229.

By the way, you might want to consider a .22 LR such as a Browning Buckmark. This will lower your shooting bill considerably and greatly improve your marksmanship. .22 LR is cheap to shoot and many target guns are relatively inexpensive. Most also have excellent triggers and are very accurate.

One other thing to consider is trying out various platforms and various styles of guns. If you look at my signature, you will note that I have a pretty wide variety of handguns. While some may feel this could cause me to make mistakes in a panic situation, I handle and practice with my carry gun much more than anything else to maintain muscle memory. All of my guns used to be the DA/SA decock style (Sig P228, Sig P229, HK USP). I enjoy the differences between my different guns.

Cmu_Sniper
February 14, 2006, 06:44 PM
Magazine problem, had the same happen to me.