PDA

View Full Version : Win Defender1300 Problem

F350Lawman
February 11, 2006, 01:34 PM
In have a 1984ish Defender 1300 18" shotgun ser.# L21757## with an issue. The gun is in overall good condition with moderate use over the years. The problem is that the action "sticks" and the end of the stroke. If you short stroke it just right, it is OK. If the action is worked all the way rearward, it sticks and it may or may not come forward. It sticks to the point where it needs a tap on the pump to get it unstuck.

I have taken the barrell and action out and it seems ok. Gun is lubricated and parts don't look real worn. I don't see any ragged edges or breakage. At first I thought the arms were bowed outward from repatedly working the action, so I pinched them inward while working the action, no help there.

Any ideas, what should I check next?? Should I break it down farther by knocking out the pin above the trigger??

Thanks

Teufelhunden
February 11, 2006, 08:45 PM
Any ideas, what should I check next?? Should I break it down farther by knocking out the pin above the trigger??

I don't know that it isn't something inherent to the weapon; I've got a FN Police Shotgun, which is just a gussied up 1300, and my action sticks a little if I force it too far to the rear as well. I don't need to tap it free, but you can definitely feel something retard the speed of the pump.

The way you wrote the sentence I've quoted above seems to imply you've never pulled you trigger group out of the receiver before. If this is the case, my first suggestion would be to break the weapon all of the way down and give it a thorough cleaning.

-Teuf

Badreno
February 11, 2006, 09:07 PM
Is this the original butt stock and has it always done this? Does it jam when the chamber is empty or only when ejecting a shell?

I am not familiar with the Winchester 1300, but I seem to remeber hearing about a Mossy that had a similar problem and it turned out to be the butt stock retaining bolt. It was protruding into the receiver and catching the bottom rear of the bolt. I didn't see it personally so I can't verify if that is even posible, but something to think about.

And yes, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger group if for no other reason than a good cleaning.

Win 1300 Onwer's Manual (http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/om/index.asp)

F350Lawman
February 11, 2006, 10:28 PM
Right now it has a pistol groip on it but it didn't do this until a long time after this grip went on. It does it loaded or unloaded. It never had any problem with the gun and then this cropped up. The gun had areal nice action for years.

Thanks for the manual link. Unless someone ahs an answer or a suggestion, I will break it down further and look for causes.

Ga Johnny
February 11, 2006, 11:49 PM
have you looked good at the foreend to make sure it's not binding on something, or is loose, has shifted or cracked, or something like that.:confused: