PDA

View Full Version : Double Rifle

fletchbutt152
February 11, 2006, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know what kind of gun this is? It's the double that Sean Conery uses in The League of Extraordinary Gentelmen.

I know nothing about it and would love to find one. Very nice looking gun.

500 SD
February 11, 2006, 02:04 AM
Looks like a James Purdey & Sons 450 Express Double Rifle to me. Looks pre- turn of the century or just right after probably. $$$$$$$

dfaugh
February 11, 2006, 11:00 AM
I've always wanted a nice British double rifle...Unfortunately, the best examples are generally in the 5 figure range..but they are truly works of art.

Clayfish
February 11, 2006, 11:14 AM
I know it will never compete but spartan has a double in their line up. If my memory is correct they come in .223 and 45-70. I just tried to find the website but I couldn't and the link on the remington site is gone. Does anybody know if they aren't importing them anymore? Also Cabelas has a blackpowder double on their website. It's around $600.

fletchbutt152
February 11, 2006, 04:50 PM
the spartan site is: http://www.spartangunworks.com/home.htm. yeah, i looked up some Purdey guns and they are sure purdy, with a purdy price. I just am in awe of the look of the gun on that movie. simple, elegant, and powerful...at least i assume

keens
February 11, 2006, 05:46 PM
Here in Upstate SC there is a Merkel .470 Nitro double used for $7800...it is in perfect condition and handles beautifully. I want it badly.

taralon
February 11, 2006, 08:55 PM
The Cabela's Blackpowder muzzleloading double is made by Pedersoli. They'll also sell you the breechloading double made by the same group of Itallians int he store.

Tom Matiska
February 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE][/I just tried to find the website but I couldn't and the link on the remington site is gone. QUOTE]

Not gone from Rem's sight, but very well hidden. Click products/firearms/centerfire/SPR rifles/ ...... then ignore the confused reference to SPR 22 features as "rifle/shotgun", then click on specifications, and you will find the specs listed for double rifle. Only thing harder is trying to find one in a store. Anybody seen one yet???

Jim Watson
February 12, 2006, 02:31 PM
The movie still shows a double rifle with exposed hammers (not cocked) and Jones underlever action. Practically every English maker in business in the late XIX century had them in a variety of calibres. Friend of mine has a Webley .450 BPE as illustrated, and there is a .500 BPE in town. I think they scaled their express rifle weights to the recoil, I can shoot a couple of pairs and then need a timeout. But what can't you kill with four shots, if well delivered?

The Russian Remington double may be a long time coming, the same gun was in EAA's catalogue for years but they never actually had any to sell. It was listed in more calibres than Remington claims, a 7.62x39 double rifle would have to have been good for SOMETHING. (I looked hard at a .32-40 Manton once.)

fletchbutt152
February 12, 2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info so far. I'm doin' some research and will provide additional info if I come across any. Please keep posting as I still cannot find too much on a gun like it.