PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 24/7 vs. Millennium Pro

gunmetal
February 10, 2006, 12:00 AM
Are there any important differences between the Taurus 24/7 and Millennium Pro series pistols?

I am aware of the 24/7 "second strike" feature, but other than that I don't really see any marketing materials on the 24/7 that makes it look more desireable than the MP.

My purpose for the gun would be as a primary concealed carry piece. They seem to me to be very similar in form and function.

Thanks.

Mosin44az
February 10, 2006, 12:49 AM
The 24/7 is a later model and may have some differences. The grip frame is constructed differently, with built-in rubber subframe that feels weird to me. It appears to be an upsized Mil Pro intended to go for the police market. Has a full light rail, for instance, and is more "duty pistol" size. Don't know of any internal functioning or structural differences.

However, the Mil Pro is a DAO, with second-strike capability . The trigger is light and not that bad to shoot accurately.

If your goal is concealed carry, the Mil Pro is much smaller. Recoil isn't bad in my PT145, even with defense loads (no +P though, and it's not supposed to be needed in .45).

The Mil Pro series is substantially less expensive, too, and in my opinion feels better in the hand.

bedula32
February 14, 2006, 01:56 AM
They are exactly the same design but just in two different scales (at least if looking at the 24/7 DAO that is - not the new SA/DA version). I own both in 9mm DAO and though the 24/7 does not seem all that much bigger and would seem to be not too bad to carrry concealed the Millenium Pro just disappears whereas the 24/7 takes more effort. That little bit of trimming off the height and length does make all the difference in the world and though I love the rubber grip overlay on the 24/7 the lack of it on the Millenium pro makes the grip that much more thinner and also less likely to cause riding up of clothing which both also aid in the concealability of the Millenium over the 24/7. And, oddly, the little Millenium Pro shoots very nicely for such a small pistol. The polymer grip is heavily textured in all the right placed to help maintain good control and it works.

I like both (obviously as I own both) and would not want to part with either but I would take the Millenium Pro any day for concealability over the 24/7. That is not to imply the 24/7 is a hard gun to conceal so much as to say the Millenium is incredibly easy to conceal. The magazines from the 24/7 in 9mm work in the Millenium Pro 9mm if you want to carry a 17-round backup mag or just reload less at the range. They both have second strike capability as they are both DAO. The new SA/DA 24/7's also have second strike capability as well apparently.

HangFire83
February 14, 2006, 07:29 AM
Just recently went throught this same dilema. Was looking at the 24/7 .45 and the mil pro in the same caliber. I decided on the 24/7 because it was a larger frame than the mil pro and it fit in my hand better. Both were "gently" used and the prices were similar with the 24/7 only being about $40 more. Thats just me though. It I get my ccw here in the next year like I plan, I would not hesitate to get a mil pro since it seems much easier to conceal.

Springfield XD40 Man
February 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
I've got a Mil Pro 40 and my dad has a 24/7. Both are great guns and shoot nice. For concealed carry, the Mil Pro is probably the better choice due to size. The recoil is surprisingly light, full power 40 loads are not bad at all in the Mil Pro. Some people say the trigger is crappy, I like it. I'm very accurate with it. For $350, I'm thrilled with this gun.

da.suxor
February 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
I have the Mil Pro in 9MM. It certainly has more kick due to it's short stature, but a firm grip keeps it from being a problem. The rest above are right, it is a great size for conceal carry. Just hold it tight and don't limp wrist it or you will have fail to feed, double feeds, stove pipes, etc.

tex45acp
February 14, 2006, 08:47 PM
I have actually tried everything listed above to get my PT-145 Millennium Pro to not fire, jam, fail to eject...etc. I have yet to be able to make it not perform as was intended. I have had several friends try as well. It is like the proverbial Timex Watch.

I am looking forward to buying a 24/7 in .45acp soon. If it is half the fun my PT-145 is I will be one happy Texan!!!