PDA

View Full Version : ar stink

ranger dave
February 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
Well lets see the m855 round is loaded with a 77g serria matchking bullet. it was loaded for the marksmenship teams and some sf guys tryed it and found better them the ss109. witch is a 63g round with a tungsten core that at close range actes like an ice pick.and by the way sorry my gramer is not up to speed for this forum i was not a r.e.m.f. in the army and this is the first time in a long i have had time to get on a pc . what my question was what do you do with your ar ? i own a a.s.a a2 and i just dont shoot it that much. i love bolt action rifles. and most of the time my son is with me and we shoot a ton of 22lr. i will not make the mistake of talking bad about the great ar 15 witch everyone on this forum has used to kill tangos all over the world.

rapier144
February 7, 2006, 07:51 PM
Don't worry about it dave you can't make all the people happy all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if the flaming doesn't start again.Just don't let them get to you.:D

Mal H
February 7, 2006, 08:04 PM
"I wouldn't be surprised if the flaming doesn't start again."

I trust it won't start again, or this thread will be closed as fast as the previous one.

If all posts are kept on topic without any personal attacks or innuendos about a TFL member, this thread could have a long and useful life.

yorec
February 7, 2006, 08:47 PM
So what is the topic then? AR stink or that somebody thinks a bullet acts like an ice pick?

The only thing I get for sure is RD thinks he's gonna get flamed for being sarcastic about the favorite rifle of a whole lotta people... Go figure.

fanoblack
February 7, 2006, 08:56 PM
The M855 has a Matchking on it? This is a serious question, I really don't know.

fanoblack

Marlboro Man
February 7, 2006, 08:59 PM
I just shoot my AR flatop with 20" bull barrel. I mainly just like to sit down and enjoy it's supreme accuracy but I also like to use it to hunt coyotes. The great thing about life is that we all have one to enjoy the way we choose to.:)

IZinterrogator
February 7, 2006, 09:02 PM
The M855 has a Matchking on it? No, the M855 has a 62 gr. FMJ bullet with a steel penetrator. I believe the Mk 262 Mod 1 round is the one with the Matchking bullet (I might be off on the round's designation, if so, please correct me).

Clayfish
February 7, 2006, 09:09 PM
ranger dave, give it up.

OuTcAsT
February 7, 2006, 09:45 PM
Ranger Dave, with all respect due a 20 year "Veteran" you are correct sir... you are not a R.E.M.F. even if the "R" stood for "Remotely". I am thankful that our armed forces require a High school diploma now, You Flame on any post that even has the letters (of the alphabet) AR in them, (My Gosh, I think we have found Jack Malloy's long lost son)!!! PLEASE give it a rest. My apologies to Mal H and the rest of the staff. Just FYI I use my AR for targets at the range so that I might stay proficient with it in case a S.H.T.F. scenario should arise, +1 To Marlboro Man, he said it best.....We can all enjoy it the way we choose. Now are'nt those the freedoms you swore to defend?

Just my humble $.02

Thank You...And, Have a nice day.:)

FirstFreedom
February 7, 2006, 09:54 PM
Where is this lone AR that is giving off said stink?

arabian cowboy
February 7, 2006, 09:55 PM
i just hate cleaning the ar15. that is the sole reason i have sold mine and will not purchase another one. as for the .223, i like it. cheap and plentiful, very little kick and enough stopping power for all the cans and apples i shoot.

fanoblack
February 7, 2006, 11:32 PM
I thought that the M855 was the one with the steel penetrator, but I had forgotten about AmmoOracle for some reason. Thanks for the info.

ETA:

From Said Oracle:
M193: 55gr FMJBT Ball, plain tip.

This cartridge is intended for use against personnel and unarmored targets from 5.56×45mm weapons with a 1-in-12-inch (1:12) or faster rifling twist rate (M16 family rifles and other compatible systems). Its ballistic coefficient is typically .243

M196: 55gr Tracer, short range, red-painted tip.

M855: 62gr FMJBT Ball, green-painted tip.

This cartridge is intended for use against personnel, unarmored and light armored targets from 5.56×45mm weapons with a 1-in-10-inch (1:10) or faster rifling twist (Machine guns: M249 Minimi; Rifles: M16A2 and other compatible systems). The M855 cartridge is based on the FN-designed SS-109 bullet, and has a gilding metal-jacketed, lead alloy core bullet with a steel penetrator. The primer and case are waterproof. It was adopted by NATO in 1980 as the standard small arms ammunition for NATO forces. Its ballistic coefficient is typically 304.

M856: 61gr Tracer, long range, orange-painted tip.

This cartridge uses the FN-designed L-110, 63.7 grain tracer bullet, which has no steel penetrator. (Note that while FM 23-14 lists this bullet weight for the M856, IMI lists the weight of the L-110 tracer bullet which tops the M856 round as 61.7 grains. At least one AR15.com member reports 60.8-61.3 weights for a variety of M856 rounds that were pulled). The long projectile requires a barrel with a 1:8 or faster rifling twist.

M995: 62gr FMJBT AP, black-painted tip. This FN-designed bullet uses a hardened tungsten-carbide penetrator, and is only available on special-issue SAW belts.

M996: Actually, XM996, as it hasn't been adopted yet. The tracer compliment to M995.

And yes, IZ, you're right about the it being the MK262 round that has the 77gr bullet on it, more specifically the MK262 Mod1.

fanoblack

Dave R
February 8, 2006, 12:26 AM
What do you use your AR for?

I don't have one, but my buddy uses his for varmit hunting. Whistle pigs, Rock Chucks, Coyotes, etc.