PDA

View Full Version : summer concealment

texdawg
February 7, 2006, 01:57 PM
I know this has prolly been covered numerous times but as a new concealed carry permit holder i am curious as to preferred carry methods for warm weather months. I ain't having any trouble concealing in the cooler months, but I am concerned as to what to do in the summer.

tegemu
February 7, 2006, 02:22 PM
Large T shirt, unbuttoned collared shirt over a t shirt, tuckable holster, pocket holster, ankle holster, vest, fanny pack or other external carry, belly band or other under clothing carry - lots of ways. Look around in this and in other forums and you will find all sorts of ideas. Try the Search feature.

Musketeer
February 7, 2006, 03:04 PM
www.smartcarry.com

isa268
February 7, 2006, 03:07 PM
I’m 5 10 and 130lb and i conceal a SW1911SC 4 1/4" in a Tucker Texas Heritage under an untucked t-shirt all summer long no problem.

the shirt has to be long enought that you won't flash it. and don't bend at the waist to pick something up, squat down, and you won't have any problems.

Dust_Devil
February 7, 2006, 03:33 PM
What I wear in the summer when I am carrying concealed is a t-shirt or tank top tucked in my pants, an in-the-pants holster with my weapon and a button-up short-sleeve t-shirt long enough to cover past my waist so it can't ride up above the exposed part of my weapon. I will either button up the shirt or leave it unbuttoned. The t-shirt is there so the gun and holster doesn't rub against my bare skin.
If you decide to use an in-the-pants holster, you will probably have to buy a few new pairs of pants or shorts a size or two larger in the waist to allow room for the holster to fit comfortably.

Your body size and figure will also determine what it the best way to carry concealed. I am not a large person around the waist, so the way I mentioned above with a compact weapon like a Glock 23 works best for me where I have seen guys who are large in the midsection who can stick a full-size 1911 under just a t-shirt and hide it very well.

I don't know how anyone can move around and bend over with a gun down in front of their pants. I tried it and it felt uncomfortable, but like I said, a persons size and body figure and size of gun will determine what is best for you so you may have to experiment a little.

Mannlicher
February 7, 2006, 06:48 PM
A lot depends on if you are carrying to feel warm and fuzzy, or to save your butt if things go South in a hurry. "Dress for Success", as John Molloy used to write about. Your clothes, even in warmer weather, should be chosen to accomodate your best protection, not chosed for style and flair.
Any one can tuck a Keltec someplace, but in all honesty, if it got nasty, would you want to depend on a Keltec? Nah, did'nt think so. :)

GUNSITE
February 7, 2006, 08:59 PM
i not a big fan of the fanny pack, i do use it as a last resort of carry. if i wear shorts and a t-shirt i use a IWB holster.

Peeweester40
February 7, 2006, 10:21 PM
www.andrewsleather.com

Check out Sam Andrews' MacDaniel II. It's an inside the waistband (IWB) holster. It has an adustable loop angle (muzzle cant) for comfort and ease of draw. His holsters also allow for the belt loop sizes (2 are included) to be changed out for different width belts. These are the best I've found and I've been through some holsters.

I just picked up another one of his MacDaniel II's today for Kahr CW9. Like another poster has mentioned, I wear a T-shirt or wife beater under a larger pull over or button up shirt. It also helps to wear an outer shirt with stripes or a print, it helps break up any outline that might show. Nobody that I know of has ever 'made' me.

Glenn E. Meyer
February 8, 2006, 11:35 AM
I agree with floppy shirt over t-shirt-IWB or pocket gun in TX.

If you pick your pants carefully, you can get quite comfortable pocket carry for Js or PM9s type guns.

AirForceShooter
February 8, 2006, 01:20 PM
I'm in Fla and here it's pretty much an IWB and a shirt outside your pants.
Fanny packs tend to scream gun.
Any time I see a guy with a flowered shirt outside his pant's I figure he's carrying. The flowered shirts don't print either.

AFS

IndianaDean
February 8, 2006, 08:14 PM
I've ordered a CTAC tuckable holster from comp-tac.com to try. I can no longer carry in a vest, jacket, or other shoulder method as even the light weights kill my bad back to have the weight on my shoulders all day.
I tried a Smartcarry, ended up trying to customize it to get to be at least partially comfortable, then threw it in the trash. Hands down the most uncomfortable method I have ever tried.
So, I've got a couple of holster vests, a leather coat, denim jacket that are pretty much useless for me as I can't take the weight on my shoulders.

VirgilCaine
February 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
I carry my Colt Commander IWB with shorts, t-shirt, and a light weight short sleeve dress shirt untucked. Cool as a cuccumber.