PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered HK P2000 vs a P99 QA

12 are better than 6
February 7, 2006, 11:56 AM
if anybody has a story they want to tell on how they got their HK P2000 please post, and tell me what you think of the gun so far.

Well, im new to the forum but have been a gun owner for a while. Favorite gun i have is a HK USP9 great gun fired it indoors outdoors always goes bang. Te only thing is that im not such a big guy and well if you ever want to carry it you will have quite a bit of baggage.

So i was about to buy a p99 cause its a bit smaller but, and dont get me wrong here i love walthers, the construction just didnt seem to be what i wanted. Now, I am not saying that I am a snob when it comes to hand guns, but I do enjoy the mechanical excellence in all things, but the play of the slide, along with the somewhat strange trigger of the QA, which is all i could find, made it a bit of a strecth for me to want it.

So i asked the dealer to let me hold the HK P2000. Great construction, the fit is right on, much better than the walther, and i examined several walther P99s. So i ended up putting a deposit on the P2000 because they didnt have one in 9mm in stock.

To tell you the truth i was dissapointed, i am a big walther fan, my father's P88 is his prized possession, and i already told him i had dibs on it. But the fit on the P99 really dissapointed me. I guess that all the other times i had examined it was more from a fans perspective than that of a person comparing for the best buy.
As a pro i have to say that the grips are great, it fits like a golve in your hand, and points very naturally. You can just tell that you will be able to shoot this gun all day and never get tired. But the sights are a little flat for me, and look a little flimsy, but im also critical of glock sights, and some people seem to love them. Its just that i like to get a package that is good out of the box, not just something ill have to search the aftermarket for.

As for the P2000, wow, great gun, and seems to be a great CCW piece. Although I will have to judge that later on. I think that if i go camping or the like i would still take my USP, but having a package like that in the P2000 with just two rounds less isnt bad at all. By the way, does anybody know if they make higher cap mags for the P2000??

The gun fits really well in my hand, i have medium sized hands with pretty narrow fingers. What i might change though is the fact that the trigger has a lot of travel in SA. more so thatn my USP, and that might take some getting used to. But since i havnt shot it yet i dont know. The more i spend time with HK firearms the more i like them. All excpt for the USP Expert but its mainly because i would like it to be heavier, i feel the thing is too light for its size.

When i get the gun in and fire it ill write some more of how it does, but i know its got great pedigree behind it so im looking forward to it.

thanks

FirearmFan
February 7, 2006, 12:11 PM
Well I just picked up a P2000 in .40 call and love it. Took it to the range for the first time this past weekend and it is accurate as hell. I have the LEM version instead of the DA/SA. I have to get use to the Lem because it is a little different than the one in my USPF .40. I also found I have to keep my pinky on the grip instead of letting it get caught between the bottom of the grip and the magazine. Got pinched a couple of times and had to adjust.

Recoil is not bad at all and the sights line up excellently.

For carry the gun fits well. I have a kramer horsehide IWB holster which I carry stong side. The pistol melds well to the body and is light enough you forget about it after a while. I say you made a good choice.

Question : Did you get the SA/DA version or the LEM? I couldn't tell from you paragragh.

Good Luck!

12 are better than 6
February 7, 2006, 12:56 PM
yeah i got mine DA/SA with the hammer-side deckoker

it provides the best of both wolrds in my opinion plus im so used to deckoking for a first shot that it seemes more natural for me. Plus because the gun is smaller it is really easy to get to and if you have to you can just stay SA which is good

FirearmFan
February 7, 2006, 04:52 PM
Good to hear. Let me know how it functions. I'm thinking about getting the DA/SA model as well.

When it is delivered get the meprolite night sights. They glow a cool green which are easy to see and not too hard to install.

For more info try the HK pro forum. They have alot of good information there.

www.HKpro.com

shield20
February 8, 2006, 08:41 PM
Hmmm...I did just the opposite! I was looking for an HK USPC, but didn't find one with the trigger option I wanted at a good price. I was just about to get my 2nd choice - a SIG 2022 DA/SA - after trying eveything in the store - when the bud behind the counter stuck a P99 QA in my hand! Wow! I liked it! Didn't compare it directly to the HK, but to the SIG, and just felt much better, AND I esp. liked the QA trigger over the DA/SA. For about $250 dollars less besides - I am thrilled! Hope it is a well-founded enthusiasm!

shield20
February 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
N/a

#18indycolts
February 8, 2006, 10:34 PM
i've got a p99 AS, glad I got the AS before they quit making them.