PDA

View Full Version : Out, out damn spot!

CrociJA
June 6, 2000, 12:38 PM
I have a Bushmaster "Shorty" that I have run ~200 rounds of SA brass through. After firing it, I gave it a quick cleaning (ran the bore, oiled and stripped the bolt, and ran a light coating of CLP over the rifle and on the charging handle), but I left the chromed portion inside the chamber alone. Two weeks later, I took a look and there was carbon residue on it. I tried Hoppes, I tried Carb. Cleaner, Gun Scrubber, hell I even tried something made out of horse**** and the carbon won't leave! I've done the "pinky test" and no carbon residue comes off on my finger. Any ideas? I've tried a standard issue bore brush and no luck.

Jon

Jon K
June 6, 2000, 01:02 PM
You might try some JB Bore Cleaner on a patch that is wrapped around an old brass brush.

------------------
NRA MEMBER? GREAT, NOW JOIN GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA

James K
June 6, 2000, 10:01 PM
Chrome will sometimes acquire a permanent coloration from heat. It is removable only with those "harsh abrasives". Don't worry about it.

Jim

CrociJA
June 7, 2000, 11:29 AM
Thanks,

I figured as much, but I tend to be a "backroom" IG when it comes to my firearms. Even the slightest hint of residue must be taken off. But I'll take your advise, it doesn't seem to be effecting performance, and its a great shooting little rifle!

Thanks,

Jon

James K
June 8, 2000, 03:23 PM
Sometimes that can be overdone. (Sand off that bluing! Grind away the Parkerizing! I want that rifle to SHINE!!)

Jim