PDA

View Full Version : Remington 710

TCman
February 5, 2006, 02:44 PM
Wat is the big deal with the 710? The only thing I ever hear is bad comments about this gun? What is so terrible about it?:)

smince
February 5, 2006, 03:02 PM
Use the search function. You should find plenty of answers to this question.

TCman
February 5, 2006, 03:33 PM
what is the search function?

knzn
February 5, 2006, 04:34 PM
Go to the main "art of the rifle" page. Look up at the top and you will see "search this forum." Click it and a box will open up. Type in the words "remington 710" and hit enter.

But before you do that get comfortable. You'll be there a while if you read it all.

Rivers
February 6, 2006, 09:26 AM
Go to a "Fine Foreign Car" board. Go to the "search" function. Type in "Yugo" and see what you find. ;)

smince
February 6, 2006, 06:17 PM
Go to a "Fine Foreign Car" board. Go to the "search" function. Type in "Yugo" and see what you find.

:D :D :D :D :D That's funny.

Mannlicher
February 6, 2006, 06:58 PM
While the 710 does not satisfy most self professed expert riflemen, for the nimrod, it fills a niche. There are many guys that are not shooters, but want a modern, effective rifle. The 710 works, is reasonably accurate, and is chambered in several effective cartridges. If you don't think this rifle is for you, then just buy something else.

270Win
February 6, 2006, 09:28 PM
Mannlicher has a point... the local Dick's Sporting Goods to me claims they sell more 710 packages than any other rifle, because it's good for beginners or those who are simply curious, and priced well.

And for those people, I'm sure it's great.

Teach
February 7, 2006, 10:16 AM
Ya'll quit hatin' on the 710! It does a fine job for the price. And you don't have to be a newbie/nimrod either. I own more weapons than I can count, shoot every chance I get. The price reflects the costs of building the rifle, you get more refinement for more money. Now, the Bushnell Sharpshooter scope that comes on the rifle is junk IMHO. I took mine and freefloated the barrel, lapped the rings, had the trigger tuned up and mounted a Leupold on it and it shoots 1" groups consistently with hand loads. It is a great rifle for taking to the deer woods, I dont have to worry about banging up the stock, etc.

Dirty_Harry
February 7, 2006, 11:23 AM
There aren't too many rifle uglier than a savage, but this one certainly is and does not shoot as good as the savage.

Rivers
February 7, 2006, 11:50 AM
Teach: Exactly how did you go about freefloating the barrel? Seems to me that the $10, flimsy plastic stock wouldn't stand too much "wallowing out."

Teach
February 7, 2006, 03:01 PM
I used a Dremel with the little drum sander attachement, took a little patience and I only went as far back as where the barrell starts to expand out for the chamber/throat area. I releived it enough that I can slide a folded Ben Franklin from the front back to where I stopped. I did not care for the grey color, either, so I painted it black with Krylon Fusion......

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT
February 12, 2006, 04:58 AM
My gripe about mine which was bought as a gift is that the bolt always seems to hang and snag when you pull back on it and attempt to chamber a new round. Mine is one that came out the first year, however I understand that the new ones are supposed to have worked this problem out.

FirstFreedom
February 12, 2006, 10:01 AM
Nimrod was a great hunter. He wouldn't have used a 710. If he lost his kingdom and his Sakos, he'd use a Stephens. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod_%28king%29

Rivers
February 12, 2006, 10:38 AM
A real hunter would pick a mediocre knife and fast feet over a Remington 710!:D

Art Eatman
February 12, 2006, 12:54 PM
TYBS, problems like yours are what get guys into home gunsmithing. some valve-grinding compound, or a Dremel tool, and you can make that action as smooth as silk. Just some time and patience coupled with some common sense...

:), Art

youp
February 12, 2006, 01:50 PM
The biggest trouble with the 710 is it is different in a world where people like more of the same.

Rivers
February 12, 2006, 02:37 PM
The biggest trouble with the 710 is that it's inferior in a world that demands AT LEAST mediocrity. ;)