PDA

View Full Version : Range Report Mossberg O/U Silver Reserve Troubles

Barr
February 4, 2006, 06:54 PM
I took the new 12 gauge shotgun out to the range today for a trial run. I bought it at the Walmart 2 days ago. I "handpicked" the gun from the two local Walmarts for the gun witht he best stock wood and not being handled by folks. I shot two rounds of trap and the results were mixed. The gun was dead nuts accurate and hit every bird I pointed at.

However, the barrel selecters were backwards for the trigger. When the bottom barrel fired first, the top barrel would not go bang until I switched the safety selector to the bottom selector to fire first (read previous sentence where selectors are backwards). :mad: Before I figured out the barrels were backwards, I pulled the trigger and it went click (empty chamber). Was pointing the gun downrange still and pulled the trigger again and the gun was not on my shoulder. :eek: ! It went bang when I did not mean for it to, and I am told the look on my face was priceless. Scared the hell out of me.

So when I called the Walmart about this, I was told they could not exchange the gun even though it was defective right out of the box. I told the manager when I buy a gun new I expect it to at least function correctly, even if it is not accurate etc. He said they (Walmart) would send it back to the manufacturer for free at least. I will see where it goes from there.

So other than a malfunctioning gun and a frozen fiance it was a good day. Had some good hits on the birds.

swipter
February 4, 2006, 07:52 PM
Just to let you know. I thought I had a defective Browning 525 I bought from Sportsman's Warehouse. Took it back 12 hours after purchase, never fired, and they wouldn't take it back, either. It wasn't defective, by the way, I was just didn't know what I was doing with it.

Barr
February 5, 2006, 11:53 PM
Well now it looks like only one barrel will fire. No matter which barrel is selected to fire now, it only shoots the first shell and will not fire the second barrel at all. Oh the joys of Walmart.

scorpucla
February 6, 2006, 12:02 AM
Barr, assuming the barrel selector (and the rest of the gun) was functional, does the Mossberg require that you shoot the bottom barrel first? On my Beretta, it doesn't matter which barrel I decide to shoot first, it automatically switches over to the unfired barrel for the second shot.

oletymer
February 6, 2006, 11:20 AM
Ah, the joys of Turkish craftsmanship.

Barr
February 6, 2006, 11:44 PM
Update:

Took the gun back to Walmart and talked to a person at the door. Two CSMs come out and take the gun to customer service and are going to give me my money back (against their policy such good training), but they decided to call another manager. Was a loudmouth and "knew it all". Oh well. Took it back to sporting goods and they will send it off to Mossberg tomorrow. Supposed to have it back in three weeks. Was pleasantly surprised about the response I received.

On a side note, one CSM had a real attitude problem. Must not have liked guns from the way she acted.

Bobshouse
February 7, 2006, 04:14 PM
Just be thankful they still sell guns at your Walmarts. Just got back from ours and they have even removed the glass turnstiles, looks like they ain't planning on selling them ever again. Life is grand here in great ol California!

Bob

drdirk
February 8, 2006, 09:42 PM
I have shot the Mossberg over under. One problem I found early was if you do not open the gun all the way funny stuff happens and no shot may go off or the wrong barrel. Since the gun is tight, one has to make sure that it breaks open all the way for the firing mechanism to reset. A little force helps here. As the gun breaks in this is not a problem anymore. The Mossberg I shot is was very tight for the first 300 rounds. After that fine. Did not pattern but worked fine and I could hit pretty much as well or bad as I always do. Also had a few clicks. Anything is possible but looking at the design I find it hard to believe that it could be reversed. Good luck with it!

Barr
February 9, 2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks. I should be having the gun back in another 2.5 weeks. Lately the guys at work have been giving me a hard time about having an expensive single shot shotgun. LOL.

Barr
April 4, 2006, 11:37 AM
Well I have finally received my gun back from Mossberg. It only took 55 days. The gun looks great though and fired immaculately with the exception of one shot that the trigger did not reset for. Pattern is still very tight and to point of aim. Other than the long wait, I am happy with the service I received. I cannot wait to shoot it this summer.

Barr
April 16, 2006, 07:14 PM
Well second out at the range since I have gotten the gun back and the safety flew off of the gun. Luckily a gunsmith friend reinstalled the safety. Well I have another 9 months or so to see if I can get the gun to break again :D.

Ruger4570
April 16, 2006, 09:11 PM
I wonder if that is why Brownings and Berretas sell so well. Not a bash by any means. You get what you pay for,,, if you are lucky ( often less)