PDA

View Full Version : Any Henry US Survival fans here?

Optical Serenity
February 3, 2006, 01:57 AM
I keep eyeballing this rifle, and think...it would be awesome in my B.O.B. in my car. Not because it has any special super .22LR reason to exist in my BOB, but because .22LR is cheap, its a light gun, floats, and breaks down.

Or, should I be looking at the Kel-Tec P2000?

blume357
February 3, 2006, 05:42 AM
but never took much notice... Now that I see the manufacturers price and realize the actual cost is going to be below $200 I think it would be a neat little 22 to have.

dr.magnum
February 3, 2006, 07:01 AM
I don't have any experience with the survival rifle, but I did buy a Goldenboy from Henry awhile back. It's a great gun, and they really seem to care about their customers. I sent in an email with some comments and got back a response that they had read it and answered some of my questions. I wouldn't be afraid to buy anything they put out.

MADISON
February 3, 2006, 10:51 AM
OH!
You are talking about the one that is taken appart and goes into the stock.
It's a very good gun and, the one JAMES BOND used to shoot down a helicopter.

DPris
February 3, 2006, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't call it a very good gun, but when it's done decently it's an OK gun. The design has been manufactured by four or five outfits over the years, with varying degrees of quality. When they work, they can provide fair to good accuracy.
Denis

Optical Serenity
February 3, 2006, 01:19 PM
Interesting, who else makes them?

DPris
February 3, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure if anybody else is currently making them, but do vaguely recall another outfit doing them three or four years back.
They were made by Charter Arms for a while before that, it was originally developed by ArmaLite back in the late 50s.
Denis

timothy75
February 3, 2006, 02:09 PM
I think its a neat little gun but I hear they loose their zero every time the barrel is removed.

DPris
February 3, 2006, 02:24 PM
I never shot the Charter version I had 20 years ago enough to find out. The design & concept are a neat idea, but the one I had just wasn't made well enough to keep, and had a tendency to fire more than once per trigger pull.
I've tried several of Henry's other guns without a problem, have not tried their version of this one & I am not saying there are any problems currently. I don't know.
Denis

utaherrn
February 3, 2006, 08:52 PM
Shot a friend's that was one of the first versions to come out back in the early 80s or so. I wasn't impressed. The mag latch was so poor that the mag fit so loose in the mag well that if it wasn't held up in place, the bolt would ride over and not feed the round into battery. Perhaps the quality has improved, but the design was lacking.
I'd rather have a 10-22 with a folding stock if I needed a really compact package. Or one of the Springfield M-6 scouts, if you can find one.

Te Anau
February 4, 2006, 10:26 AM
Or, should I be looking at the Kel-Tec P2000?
A Kel-Tec sub 2000 is a much better gun but the Henry could be fun.

Bosshoff
February 4, 2006, 10:53 AM
I do not have any experience with the Kel-Tec model you asked about, but I have handled the Springfield double barrell unit, and I liked it quite a bit.

FirstFreedom
February 4, 2006, 11:15 AM
The're ok. My friend had one, and it seemed to jam a lot. They're kinda neat in that that take down and float. But I'd still get a marlin papoose for a takedown .22 - unless I lived in the swamp, in which case the floating thing could come in handy.

Toney
February 4, 2006, 11:45 AM
I had a Charter AR7, it was very accurate but very pickey on the ammo it would feed.

RevolverLover
February 4, 2006, 11:56 AM
Mine jammed alot and the accuracy wasn't that good.

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT
February 6, 2006, 05:34 AM
I still have my Henry because I think it is a neat firearm however the sights are very difficult to use because of the shape of the stock. The place where the reciever screws into the stock is very easy to strip out. So if you think it is a interesting gun by all means get one these are just some things to keep in mind. -Just my opinions from having one-

molonlabe
February 6, 2006, 07:27 AM
still own a AR7 from armalite that I purchased at the PX in 1966 or 67. It never jams with the 8 round factory magazine but the high capacity ones you buy at the gunshows will. I don't think they changed the design much.

fletchbutt152
February 10, 2006, 08:00 PM
Hehehe...I don't own one, and I'm sure they aren't the greatest of guns, but what a neat little plinker to have...every campin', canoein', rafting, and skiin' trip this one will come with me...when I get one. I also hope to fly with it. Don't know if I'll be allowed, but if I can get to Alaska, I'll sneak it on with me. Who knows, maybe doin' touch and goes, I'll get to hunt for supper!

Ifishsum
February 11, 2006, 02:54 AM
I had a Charter Arms AR-7 and it was a POS. Cool looking and gadgety, but neither accurate nor reliable. It was one of only two guns I have ever got rid of.

It's okay for a BOB but I wouldn't shoot it a lot for fun. Not made for high volume shooting.

To be fair, Henry very likely makes it better than Charter did.