PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 MkII Questions

mathman
January 31, 2006, 07:15 PM
Just a couple of questions about Ruger MkII

1. Can you close the bolt on a chambered round? I know it's controlled feed, but can it be loaded like a single shot?

2. I've been considering getting an All-Weather Ruger M77 MkII in 308...I've searched the forums and have found mixed reviews...any new (unbiased) info?

Thanks guys...and gals!

rahtreelimbs
January 31, 2006, 08:07 PM
If I remember correctly it is hard on the extractor.

Anyhow why not just put the round in the mag and feed it in?

I had this very rifle and it shot 1" groups with factory ammo!

mathman
January 31, 2006, 10:15 PM
I had this very rifle and it shot 1" groups with factory ammo!

...had? Do you no longer have it? If so, may I ask why?

rahtreelimbs
January 31, 2006, 10:43 PM
...had? Do you no longer have it? If so, may I ask why?

I just wanted to move on to something different! At the time reloading seemed a purposeful and exciting move. I traded the .308 and a .338 that I had for a .300 Win Mag and all the reloading equipment. In hindsight it was a so-so move, on one hand I learned the ins and outs of reloading and on the other hand I traded 2 very good/accurate rifles.............live and learn!!!

bgoldhunter
February 1, 2006, 12:14 AM
I have one in 270, and now it is a very accurate rifle. First to go was the terrible trigger-replaced it with a Timney and my groups improved greatly. IMO, the Timney is a must with a Mk II Ruger, unfortunate, as the triggers in the tang safety models were great bone stock. The factory stock is not very comfortable for me, so I switched to a B&C stock, which helped accuracy. Again, the old tang safety models are much more comfortable than the new guns. I would get rid of it since it is not as comfortable as some, but can't bring myself to because it is so accurate with my favorite 270 loads.

Dirty_Harry
February 1, 2006, 05:19 PM
I don't hear much about rugers compared to savage and remington, how are they?

I have always liked the look and feel of them.

mathman
February 1, 2006, 07:43 PM
I have always liked the look and feel of them.

That's the way that I feel too...I'm thinking that for a hunting rifle (300 yards max) it would be good. I don't think that you can buy a more 'bullet proof' rifle...they are tough.

dgludwig
February 9, 2006, 06:48 PM
rahtreelimbs: My guess is Mathman wants to maximize his magazine capacity by filling it to capacity and then chambering a round (separate from the rounds in the mag.).