PDA

View Full Version : What was the rifle used in "SWAT"?

buseydggs
January 31, 2006, 01:08 AM
I looked and looked for information all over the internet trying to find this out, and i joined the forum JUST to find this out.
In the movie "SWAT", what was the rifle used by Brian Gamble to shoot down the helicopter towards the beginning of the movie??? There was a refrence to a .50 cal but i know for a fact it wasn't a barrett.
this has been driving me nuts since the movie first came out.

P.S. You may have noticed that the two guns i own were also featured in this movie...:rolleyes: purely coincidence, i owned them before the movie came out.

thanks,
jeff - milwaukee, wi

A-Mac.50
January 31, 2006, 01:56 AM
I looked but couldnt find one that matched this pic,see if any body elso can tell from the pic

http://www.darkhorizons.com/2003/swat/swat8.jpg

GlocksRfun
January 31, 2006, 04:30 AM
not sure, but I just saw that scope for sale online somewhere,.. I could probably tell u what that is..

Impact of Reason
January 31, 2006, 08:00 AM
yep it does look to be some sort of .50 cal.

i hated that movie.

DBOUNCE1
January 31, 2006, 11:57 AM
Why is that movie didn't seem too bad

Sport45
January 31, 2006, 12:51 PM
A belt fed, bolt-action? That's interesting. Wonder if anyone actually made one?

Damon
January 31, 2006, 12:51 PM
It might be a McMillan .50 bolt gun with the stock that comes apart for transport.

fanoblack
January 31, 2006, 01:47 PM
Not sure thats a belt but just cartridges being held to the side of the action. To make it look more tacti-cool.

Granted I watched about 10 minutes and changed the channel. 'Tis a silly movie.

fanoblack

Optical Serenity
January 31, 2006, 02:24 PM
I thought the movie was pretty good actually...Remember folks, its just a movie, what do you really expect from hollywood?

Damon
January 31, 2006, 02:50 PM
http://www.mcbrosrifles.com/50_CAL_BMG.htm#SPORTER%20&%20TACTICAL

fanoblack
January 31, 2006, 03:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone liked it, otherwise their efforts would have been wasted. I just don't like Colin Farrell. Keep liking what you like, thats what makes this forum great.:)

fanoblack

DTakas
January 31, 2006, 05:41 PM
I really thought it looked like a McMillan at first too. But that stock is a thumbhole and I don't see any McMillan 50s with thumbhole stocks. If this is the gun I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure It's a single shot bolt action. The cartridge is held onto the bolt by the belt in the case when you open the bolt, the bolt comes clean out and the cartridge or just the case with it. You then hook it onto one of the rounds attached to the side and slide it back in. It's kind of a neat setup. I've seen it before and am kicking myself trying to remember who makes it.

rugerdude
January 31, 2006, 06:24 PM
^^^ Kinda like burt's grizzly big bore in tremors?

Damon
January 31, 2006, 09:26 PM
The scope is a Bausch and Lomb Tactical scope.

GlocksRfun
February 1, 2006, 02:30 AM
Thank you, that just saved me the time of looking up that scope...

buseydggs
February 2, 2006, 02:33 AM
Well, i think i just found it. the L96A1.... HOWEVER...
-It doesnt come in a .50
-It's british

but it looks just like it.
any thoughts?

DTakas
February 2, 2006, 08:11 AM
Accuracy International does make a .50, the AW50, and that's still not it. The bolt handle is wrong and so is the stock. It's hard to tell from that one pic but It doesn't look like there is a detachable mag in front of that trigger guard either.

TexasSIGMan
February 2, 2006, 08:50 AM
It can't be Accuracy International, the barrel would have split open when he fired it :D

Nightdiver
February 2, 2006, 10:34 PM
The bolt definitely looks McMillan. Could be an ammo carrier on the right side of the action.
(Oops , can't spell tonight).

buseydggs
February 3, 2006, 01:38 AM
but, McMillian rifles dont have thumb holes otherwise id totally agree with you

Scout Sniper
February 3, 2006, 09:46 AM
I think that might be a CZ 750? not sure .

Nicotine
February 3, 2006, 03:44 PM
could be a hollywood "frankenfidy". I've never heard of a round holder on top of the bolt like that, could be thet they assembled something just for visual effect. Keep in mind that this is a Colin Farrell movie about a swat team in Kalifornia. Nothing about this movie lends itself toward reality. Its all propaganda.

armedtotheteeth
February 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
I dont know , but if you look closely , he has no ear plugs in. I shot a ar-50 with out earplugs and my ears rang for 3 weeks. He is is for a suprise if he pulls that trigger.:eek: