PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Lump/Searcy

Eagle11
January 27, 2006, 09:11 PM
What are chopper lump barrels, besides really expensive?

The Searcy PH doesn't offer articulating front trigger on its order form. I assume for the extra $$, I can get that trigger on a PH model. True?

Also, I see on his website the Searcy Classic has already gone to $15.000.00. I want to ensure that it is the Classic, not the PH, that has gone to 15K as of 1 Feb. The PH still shows at 9.5K. Thanks.

Jim Watson
January 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
Chopper lump double gun barrels have half of the underlug made integral with each barrel. Join the barrels, join the halves of the underlug. Called chopper lump because the individual barrels with their half of the lug protruding like a blade, somewhat resemble an axe.

Cheaper guns have dovetail lumps made as a third piece and dovetailed & soldered to the barrels. And, of course, monobloc barrels have the breech end of the barrels and lumps made or fabricated, then the tubes sleeved into that.

Eagle11
January 27, 2006, 09:55 PM
ok, so dovetail lumps sound the weakest. do you know what type of barrels the krieghoff big five and searcy PH come with as standard? Thanks

Eagle11
January 27, 2006, 09:56 PM
ok, so dovetail lumps sound the weakest, but are obviously still very strong, strong enough to handle the really big bores. do you know what type of barrels the krieghoff big five and searcy PH come with as standard? Thanks

Jim Watson
January 27, 2006, 11:24 PM
A magazine article reprinted on the Kreighoff site says, of the Classic Combo: "The barrel sets are top quality German steel of monobloc construction - that is, the lumps and breeches are machined from a single block of steel, into which the barrel tubes are soldered."

I can't imagine them doing the Big Five variant differently.

And the Searcy web site says (of all his models):
"Barrels- Monobloc Construction"