PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a CCW

Bonstrosity
January 26, 2006, 12:09 PM
I'm not trying to tell you to find me an exact gun but I'm just trying to find out the best combination of large enough size but small enough for decent concealability. I'm looking at semi autos, and I am a larger guy, 6'2'' 265. Would a 4 in. service model of xd be easily concealed or would 3 inch be a better way to go? I'm open to other models like glock or beretta like maybe the 9000s. What do some of you carry that isn't a little mouse gun? but is still easily concealed w/ regular clothing (ie no extra jackets) does width have a large factor in this? like the double stacks as opposed to single stacks

#18indycolts
January 26, 2006, 12:17 PM
look no further than a .500 mag! kidding, most full size autos (non subcompacts) are gonna be easily concealed. I carry a walther p99 .40 IWB behind my back and you can't tell its there...unless i would wear a skin tight shirt, but thats a whole diff. story. :eek:

Glock35JHP
January 26, 2006, 12:30 PM
Glock 27 small but not a mouse gun. That's what I carry in the hotter months. Yes I believe it has more to do with width than barrel length someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

PeterGunn
January 26, 2006, 12:32 PM
In my experience, length is not a primary concern for concealment. It is all in the girth (how wide a gun is). I can EASILY conceal a full size 1911 with 2 spare mags all day long wearing only a pair of boxer shorts. I do have trouble concealing a typical "wonder-nine" and 2 mags because of the width.

With good holsters and intential clothing choices, you should be fine if you make a good choice. That's why I went with a 1911.

Peter

Northslope Nimrod
January 26, 2006, 12:43 PM
Polymer guns only? XD's are great but somewhat chunky/wide.

Width IS important.....but single or double stack doesn't necessarily equal narrow or wide gun. For instance, the BHP is a double stack but very narrow and conceals nicely.

For polymer: Go with XD, Glock 26 or 27, or Kahr.

For steel/alloy: Go with 1911 Commander size. Very thin with .45 power. OR check out CZ PCR's.

chlor
January 26, 2006, 12:45 PM
Sig P239.

MoW
January 26, 2006, 12:55 PM
SIG 228 or 226 should fit your size.:D

waterhouse
January 26, 2006, 02:46 PM
i agree with petergun. I'm much smaller than you, but have no problem concealing a 4.25" barrel. I like the CCO sized 1911s, because they have the shorter grip with the commander slide.

In my opinion width is the biggest factor, which is why I switched from the SIG 228 to the 225, and leter to the HK p7 and 1911. All single stacks, and all easy to conceal.

Bonstrosity
January 26, 2006, 03:16 PM
Next time I go to a gun shop i'll have to take a look at some of those less girthy guns...I suppose many guys hide long things in their pants w/ no problem ;). I do like the idea of a thin smaller sized 1911. Thanks for some of the replies.

glockperfectionbaby
January 26, 2006, 09:00 PM
Well I'm a middle aged man and I've shot a butt load of guns in my time and in all deference to the 1911 fans, I've found the Glocks to be the most simple, accurate, and reliable guns out there. Get a model 27 (as a previous poster recommended) and rest assured that you will be well protected.

denfoote
January 26, 2006, 09:16 PM
Have you given some thought to the Browning High Power??

'75Scout
January 26, 2006, 09:55 PM
What will be my ccw when I get my CHL is a GLOCK 26. I have only carried it in a Galco Skyops holster around the house and it is very comfortable and concealable. I'm 6' and 175lbs so I'm thin. Since you are a little bigger you might be able to conceal a 19 easily or even a 17. I chose 9mm because ammo is cheap so I could practice more often. If you don't like the 9mm then there are .40, .357 sig, 45 gap, 45 acp, and even 10mm models available. Check out the www.comp-tac.com for kydex holsters.

I don't know if you've ever fired a GLOCK, but my 26 has been flawless. No malfunctions in 900rds, although I can't say I'm suprised. I chose GLOCK because I wanted a high capacity, light weight, accurate and utterly reliable 9mm with few moving parts that I can easily work on (because thats half the fun). And thats exactly what I got. I have become a big fan of GLOCK. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions about GLOCKs.

djsmiles
January 27, 2006, 04:13 AM
+1 for a Glock 19 / 23

Greg Bell
January 27, 2006, 09:08 AM
Look at the P7M8. In my mind, the best CCW gun available. Unfortunately it is out of production so you might want to look towards the P2000/P2000SK. You are lucky because there are so many CCW choices these days. When I was a kid I would say 90% of guns were junk. Now I would say the reverse and only about 10% are. Pretty much any modern product by SIG, Glock, Walther, Ruger, Smith, HK, etc is going to be well thought-out and reliable.

PeterGunn
January 27, 2006, 12:47 PM
I agree with your comment about the BHP. I would add that the BHP does not make it into the "wonder-nine" catagory. Yes it is has the higher capacity, but it lacks other distinct qualities that are present in guns of this type. Historicaly speaking, I would probably contend that the S&W M59 represented the first of wonder-nine line (yes, I am a poet).

I guess if I did not carry reloads, any of these thicker pistols would be ok, but because I do, not only the width of the pistol is a concern, but also the spare mags.

For me, I have found that the SIG P225, Kahr, and 1911s conceal well if I do my part.

Blessings,