View Full Version : Aerosol Bore/Action Cleaners

K-9
April 22, 2000, 09:30 PM
Are any of those aerosol bore/action cleaners effective? Will they harm bluing
(especially on older guns)?
Thanks.

Gunslinger
April 22, 2000, 11:37 PM
Welcome to TFL K-9. I've used G96 in the past and been happy with it. I have never experienced a problem with it on bluing, new or old.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet (http://204.235.96.21:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=46078), August 12th & 13th, 2000

George Stringer
April 23, 2000, 08:44 AM
K-9, G96, Remington Action Cleaner, Gunscrubber, are all about the same. They do a good job and won't harm the bluing. George

ChrisMkIV
April 24, 2000, 09:49 PM
Will the aerosol can cleaners remove really heavy build up, or do you have to use a brush to remove the heavy fouling? like in the slide ridges and other tight slots.

------------------
"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, becuse the whole body of the people are armed"
Alexander Hamilton

Bud Helms
April 25, 2000, 04:20 AM
It's always a good idea to do a little brushing in the heavy deposited nooks and crannies. CLP will soften those areas up. I keep old toothbrushes around and trim them back a bit so the bristles are shorter. A stiff toothbrush is better. I don't brush my teeth with those, so I buy them special for gun scrubbing. Once the thickly deposited areas and the nooks and crannies are softened up with a good soak in CLP, I brush 'em down and then blast 'em with BrakeKleen. It's cheaper than the made-for-guns products and works as well or better. All the aerosols have the advantage of strong squirting pressure. Just be careful it doesn't come back in your face! The BrakeKleen will drastically degrease/delube too. Personally, I don't use the aerosols very often. I save them for the occasional drastic down-to-the-bone cleaning. Session to session I use CLP and a good wipe down.

Ledbetter
April 25, 2000, 12:20 PM
My cleaning regimen is similar to sensop's. I'll have to try shortening the bristles on the old toothbrushes, sounds like a good idea.

Brake cleaner has been the subject of numerous posts in the Handgun archives. Works great to clean gunk out of toothbrushes too.

aerod1
April 26, 2000, 08:14 PM
Instead of "Gunscrubber" for $4.95 a can, I use automotive starting fluid for $1.25 a can. The cheaper, the better, get the kind that has no upper cylinder lube. A gunsmith told me about this and it has yet to harm any parts on my guns.
Jim Hall